Are Sandhill birds generally healthy?

gamefowl guy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 21, 2011
My computer
Hi all, I am interested in placing an order in the next few months with Sandhill, but was wondering, are they MG/MS tested negative? I know they are NPIP, but that doesn't cover MG or MS, does it? I am wondering because one of my friend's bird's are sick with what is probably MG, and I have read a lot of mail-order hatcheries breeding stock are carriers. So anyone with experience from them? All the birds you got healthy? I hear they have some nice birds. Thanks

No, they are not MG/MS negative.

Just about roughly 90 percent of the chicken population has it.

Whitmore Farms are the only ones I know of that are MG/MS negative with their birds. I personally don't know of anyone else yet.

No, they are not MG/MS negative.

Just about roughly 90 percent of the chicken population has it.

Whitmore Farms are the only ones I know of that are MG/MS negative with their birds. I personally don't know of anyone else yet.

I was looking at Sandhill too.

When you say 90%, do you mean including production birds (layers, broilers)? Or just heritage breeds?

Yeah, thanks, DOES that include production birds? And by Sandhill not being MG/MS, do you mean they have it, or they just are not tested for it? Thanks again!

I was looking at Sandhill too.

When you say 90%, do you mean including production birds (layers, broilers)? Or just heritage breeds?

Entire population of chickens in the US. It could be waterfowl as well.

Yeah, thanks, DOES that include production birds? And by Sandhill not being MG/MS, do you mean they have it, or they just are not tested for it? Thanks again!

I think he didn't test his birds for those type of diseases. If you look at the website, it is only typhoid and pullorum negative.

It does not mean he HAS them but just not tested. If you want, you can buy his chicks and test them.

Hi all, I am interested in placing an order in the next few months with Sandhill, but was wondering, are they MG/MS tested negative? I know they are NPIP, but that doesn't cover MG or MS, does it? I am wondering because one of my friend's bird's are sick with what is probably MG, and I have read a lot of mail-order hatcheries breeding stock are carriers. So anyone with experience from them? All the birds you got healthy? I hear they have some nice birds. Thanks

Oh goodness.... I wouldn't recommend getting Dorking's there because 1 out of 6 of the Dorking's we got from there were roo's!!!!!!
ep.gif

You got a very good ratio. 1 rooster out of 6 chicks is very good. It supposed to be 50/50. They sell only straight run chicks. Buying straing run is a gamble, you can get more pullets or more roos.
hmm.png

Overall I think there birds are plenty healthy for your needs. I wouldn't worry to much. They have some breeds that are really nice and close to standards but some of the rare breeds are far from the standards.

Back
Top Bottom