Are Sandhill birds generally healthy?

That is why it takes a dedicated breeder to get some from him and get the breed back up to SOP standards. He does not guarantee anything of his stock being show quality or being SOP. His Ameraucanas (as listed) are really EEs, because he said they laid green eggs and so forth.

Overall I think there birds are plenty healthy for your needs. I wouldn't worry to much. They have some breeds that are really nice and close to standards but some of the rare breeds are far from the standards.

Sand Hill is a hatchery. You can expect that level of quality. Although, some bigger hatcheries you can sometimes get some very good stock from, but overall, they don't really meet standard very well for showing purposes.

Yes, all the Dorking roo's were mean, mean to the hens (different ones) and ganged up like gangsters.
hmm.png

That is why it takes a dedicated breeder to get some from him and get the breed back up to SOP standards. He does not guarantee anything of his stock being show quality or being SOP. His Ameraucanas (as listed) are really EEs, because he said they laid green eggs and so forth.

Your right, I think it is nice that there is a place that at least keeps some of these breeds even though the quality might not be the best. I plan on getting some birds from them later on to start some of my breeding flocks and mixing them with others to improve them.

Does anyone have any experience with their waterfowl? Holderread's I know has good quality, but they are quite expensive, though sometimes you get what you pay for. But what about Sandhill?

ReSand Hill: Their STD Cochin chicks grew into a lovely flock! Only 2 roo in a dozen birds! I was very happy with their quality and would buy from them again.
jumpy.gif
The birds grew well and were good quality IMO.

Last edited:
I ordered buff laced polish from sandhill. I was very satisfied with the quality of the birds.Can't say that they were show quality but they grew into beautiful birds. I plan on ordering some more polish and the mixed frizzles from them this year.

I had their Polish assortment and was NOT pleased with them, too weak and feather plumage was kind of washy. (too pale, or uneven patterns, off colored).

There's certain breeds there that don't do to well, but other than that, it sounds like some people had good experiences with them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom