Are Scrambled Eggs Okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ClareScifi, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My sweet hen has been sitting on fertilized eggs for a week. Previous to this she was sitting on unfertilized eggs for probably over a week. She doesn't eat or drink much. She gets off her nest ever so often and takes a dust bath and exercises for a few minutes.

I have given her a few treats which she eats: little pieces of chard, little pieces of broccoli leaves, little chunks of watermelon with the seeds which she loves, bits of strawberries, bits of banana, a little plain yogurt, and I'm wondering whether it is okay to give her scrambled eggs?

The reason I ask is because I read that brooding hens don't each much of their chicken feed because it's too high in protein for their lower energy needs during their brooding. Eggs are high in protein, so is it a bad idea to give them scrambled eggs during this period? When I did offer her some scrambled eggs, before I read about their lowered protein needs and was worried she might be hungry, she devoured the scrambled eggs as if they were the best thing she had ever tasted.

What sort of treats do you give your girls while they are brooding?

Someone told me to make sure food and water are near her nest so she doesn't have to get off it. Is that good advice, or should I put it at a distance so she has to get off the nest to get to it? She doesn't seem to be eating and drinking much, even though it is near enough her nest to do so without getting off her nest. She does get off her nest occasionally, though, even with it being near. I haven't seen her get off her nest every day, though I have seen her get off it 2 times in the past week.

Thanks for your help,

Clare

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Dunno? I dont give my broody hens any special treatment. She hatched 5 of 5 2 days ago. She got off the nest ever other day or so for about 1/2 an hour. I figure she knows what she needs. if she wants/needs the eggs shell eat them if not shell turn her head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Cute pics, BairleaFarm! Beautiful Silkie girl.

I fed my broody dry cat food every couple of days and she would make a beeline right for it and scarf it down. Scrambled eggs would work too as well as crumbled hard boiled egg yolk. I did learn the hard way that they know best. If it makes you feel better to offer the treats, do it. It doesn't hurt anything. My broody got up at night or very early in the morning before anyone got up. I caught her once when I had to get up extra early one day. Just keep an eye on her comb. Any severe discoloration or floppiness and you might want to encourage her to get up and eat. Otherwise trust momma hen! Good luck!

BTW: there is a great broody thread! You can get questions answered by people who have done this lots!

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Those Silkies are so cute!

Several people have cautioned me against giving chickens cat food, saying it is very bad for them, even though it is high in protein? I used to forget to put the catfood I leave out for my cats up before letting the chickens out of the coop, and they'd race over to it and chow down on it, gleefully. So if it's true it's bad for them, it's true they'll eat stuff that is bad for them. One of my chickens died recently. I hope it wasn't from eating too much catfood. She didn't have that much, just a few pieces now and then, except for last summer, when I hadn't heard that it was bad for them.

How often should I offer my hen scrambled eggs?

Where is the Broody Thread? That sounds great! I don't see it listed???

5. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    The broody hen thread is in the Pictures & Stories section. I was told no to dog food since the protein in dog food is similar to chicken feed, vegetable based. Cat food, I was told could be used as a small supplement especially during times when birds need an extra boost of protein such as during a molt to help them grow back feathers. I haven't heard it was a no no! So I hope what I originally heard was alright! My birds are just fine [​IMG]

I wouldn't offer the scrambled eggs more often than once in awhile. I didn't put out special bowls for mine, she had to get up and eat out of the communal dishes. Many people put their hens in an enclosed area with their own close by dishes. ThT might be a good question for the broody hen thread!

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I have only one chicken, since her sister died. I do see her drink from her water bowl that is near her nest occasionally, so maybe I'll just keep them there. I've also seen her drink from the bigger bowl of water that is in her run.

I checked some posts and concerns were over fillers found in most cat foods, various amino acids in them that aren't good for chickens, that sort of thing.

Thanks for the info on the Broody link. I'll check it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by