Are sex linked traits strict for sexing?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I’m having some trouble finding information on shamo / ko shamo sex linked traits. If the breeder hadn’t mentioned their color as an indicator, I wouldn’t have figured it out.
But I was wondering if sexing by other sex linked traits would not work; like feather sexing.
If I tried sexing this bird with the feather technique, would it work at all? Based on the technique, it kind of looks like a male. It’s said to be used within the 24-72 hour time frame and the sticks are coming in straight without layers.
7BEDBEEB-DB7B-46A8-BB2B-CE8DECAC6002.jpeg
681227E7-030E-40E5-9646-0694B8C24B64.jpeg
A772AFEF-D733-4F2F-B566-088ED902BFDA.jpeg

Last edited:
feather sexing.

Some chickens grow their feathers faster than others. There is a particular gene on the sex chromosome that controls whether the feathers grow fast or slowly.

There are some breeds where they all grow feathers fast, and some other breeds where they all grow feathers slowly, and some breeds where it can go either way. You can tell them apart right away if you examine their wing feathers, but the difference is most obvious when they are about a month old: the fast ones have almost all their feathers, and the slow ones look almost naked!

But the speed of feather growth does not tell you the sex of the chick unless you crossed parents in a particular way. If you breed a fast-feathering rooster to a slow-feathering hen, you get sons with slow feathering and daughters with fast feathering. That is the only time you can expect to reliably sex the chicks by their wing feathers. (The important detail that gets left out of many internet chick-sexing guides: this method only works on certain chicks!)

Back
Top Bottom