Are showgirls a seperate breed than silkies?

No, frizzles have been around for a l-o-n-g time. There are some recent changes to the show rules for them, but that was to allow them to have equal opportunity to progress to show champion.

Frizzle is recognised for every breed.

Last edited:
No, frizzles are recognised and shown under their breed--a frizzled cochin would be shown as a cochin, variety would be frizzled black (or whatever colour). A frizzled RIR would be shown as a frizzled single (or rose) comb RIR. Now if the colour was not recognised, it would be AOV, for example, a frizzled calico modern game.

Quote:
lol, i need to get the book.
th.gif
They confuse me at the show.
barnie.gif

Frizzles are a recognized variety in each breed class
they have been in the ABA and APA standards for decades

I have shown them for ever
and they are now in
breed classes in the show hall

ie:
feather legged
any other comb
single comb clean legged
rose comb clean legged
Modern Game
old english gam and american game
there is no frizzle bantam ducks

the APA has frizzle large fowl in
feather legged varieties
clean legged varieties

your right when you say it is a silkie thing not having cooperation towards getting together on the standard for show girls

that is what it is all about

the lavender silkies lost out as they didn't have the 50 birds 5 breeders in the qualifying meet in floridda yrs ago

it would have went thru

Sissles is a disappointment to me as I looked at silkie frizzles and found them very nice
but the sizzle lady wants a different thing on the body type etc

I am in touch with her and will support it but I doubt it will fly for 10 yrs or so

maybe I am wrong

with any new variety or breed type the standard has to be very tight and done for the ABA and APA to recognize it

but it does take 5 breeders keeping records of breeding for 5 yrs
and 50 birds 5 people showing them and several hundred dollars to even get the APSA or ABA to address the situation

as I said before it is a expense in printing the standard after putting the varieties in a standard judging position

email me any questions

Since you like the frizzled silkies and they are a result of crossing the cochin with the silkie why would they not be considered sizzles just a different variety. Like dachshunds they have 3 coats-long, smooth, and wire yet they are all dachshunds. Why not do something like that?

I am new to chickens as far as the showing part and I am just curious.

Thanks,

Actually the Frizzled Silkie would be shown as just that, A frizzled Silkie. Nothing different about them than a bird that meets the standards for a Silkie except the frizzled feathers. They would then just be a new variety and can be shown now as described above as AOV. The thing is Frizzled Silkies are rather scraggly and not very impressive. I spent 18 months working on just that and decided that the Sizzles were much more appealing.

Sizzles on the other hand, will not meet the standard for Silkies due to the fact that the feather type is one of the main things that make a Silkie unique. Once you take the Silkie feather out of the equation then you really have a different bird. Possibly us Sizzle breeders should just go to the Houdan or Sultan for the original breed and then we would only have the Frizzled variety as opposed to a whole new breed. I think the appeal for me, at least is to have the wonderful disposition of the Silkie. They are great little birds that are easy to handle and make awesome pets. Cochins are much the same in disposition and are, of course, more available than the two breeds I mentioned.

No matter how what is decided on the eventual standard, Sizzles are a fantastic little bird and well worth the efforts being put forward to develop a breed apart.

Sorry this has gone a little off topic.

Last edited:
Quote:
So is the bowtie thing similar to the bearded and nonbearded silkies? Some breeders like bearded vs. nonbearded/bowtied vs. nonbowtied?

Yes--realize that I am not a showgirl breeder--I don;t dislike them as some do--but they don't interest me as much as other birds--only room for so many.

I hear more people say they prefer the bowties as compared with those who say they prefer the more naked necks. I can't guarantee this is the overall opinion as I'm not on any showgirl lists, but on more general lists that is what I read.

Quote:
I might be wrong but a frizzled RIR is a bad cut in points.
I will have to check with RIR club on that and ask a cople chicken judges I know.. The RIR breed is to have feathers carried close to the body..
Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom