Are Silkies a Good Fit for My Flock?

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
Hello! I have some questions regarding silkies and if they would be a good fit for my flock or not. I currently have 16 chickens (5 RSL hens, 10 EE hens and one EE rooster). My plan for next spring is to add some black copper marans to the flock, cull the EE rooster (he's a whimp :hmm), and keep a marans rooster so I can breed marans in future. Obviously, this is all just an idea and plans can go awry fast.

Anyway, the hatchery that sells marans also has a nice variety of silkies (NOT bantams), and I've always wanted a few silkie hens, for obvious reasons. All the chickens we've had over the past few years are either quite high strung or just not very friendly and I've always wanted a more docile, friendly breed, so I thought silkies would do nicely.

What I'm worried about is that some people say to NEVER mix silkies with a regular flock, due to bullying and silkies being more fragile. I find little to no bullying in my flock (other than the usual pecking order over food and the roost) and they have LOTS of space outside to enjoy. My biggest worry, though, is the winter months. We have very harsh and long winters here, so the chickens spend a lot of time solely in their coop (it is heated). I don't notice any bullying between my current flock, but maybe silkies would do poorly in the confined area, along with the winter temps.

Also, if I did end up getting some silkies I'd try to put them under a broody with some marans as day-old chicks. Would they grow up well with the bigger breed?

I just love the thought of having a few silkies in my flock, but would never want to add them if they would get picked on, etc. Any thoughts or experiences?

Are you in the UK, friend? There are no standard sized Silkies here, AFAIK.

My Silkies do just fine with my big birds.
Standard Silkies exist in the USA. Typically found with the Hatchery type, especially Hoover's(Sold as bantams).

I think purely poultry sells Broiler Silkies, which is just another fancy way of selling the standard type.

I just don't recommend the silkies with Vaulted Skulls.
The hatchery doesn't clarify whether they're vaulted or not. I'd definitely prefer non-vaulted, but after some research it seems that most people get along fine with vaulted skulls. I'll have to think about it some more.
May I ask which hatchery for the none bantam Silkies?
The hatchery is called Duckopolis. Here's a link to the silkies (not the ones I'm getting, just a batch that are currently available.)

https://duckopolis.com/collections/holiday-specials/products/mixed-colour-silkie-hens

I've bought chickens and ducks from them before and I'm 100% satisfied. :D

And thanks for the answers! I'm glad there's actually a good hatchery in Canada that sells silkies. It seems so much more difficult to get your hand on chickens here.

I really hope this idea works out. I'm so excited even though it's still months till spring. :wee

The hatchery doesn't clarify whether they're vaulted or not. I'd definitely prefer non-vaulted, but after some research it seems that most people get along fine with vaulted skulls. I'll have to think about it some more.

The hatchery is called Duckopolis. Here's a link to the silkies (not the ones I'm getting, just a batch that are currently available.)

https://duckopolis.com/collections/holiday-specials/products/mixed-colour-silkie-hens

I've bought chickens and ducks from them before and I'm 100% satisfied. :D
Don't see where it says they're Standard sized.

Most often times the one's with the largest crests have Vaulted Skulls.
20201019_140905.jpg

And thanks for the answers! I'm glad there's actually a good hatchery in Canada that sells silkies. It seems so much more difficult to get your hand on chickens here.

I really hope this idea works out. I'm so excited even though it's still months till spring. :wee
You're welcome.

I see we're in two different locations.

Back
Top Bottom