Are some duck breeds smellier than others?

If you can stand the smell, tie them up and use them as an umbrella when working in the rain.
Oh no! - First, that smell is really bad. Second, some of the oil would be washed onto myself, so i would stink too and would never be able to enjoy a bath. - The water would just leave the tub…

Definitely the Black Swedish ducks!
They are definitely the "smellers"!
I was watering in the strawberry garden - believe it or not, temperatures are below 20° (67F) here but the air is so dry, it sucks the moisture out of the soil like a dehumidifier.
Anyways, i was watering the garden when the ducknagers came running: Quack! Quaaakack! Quax! - Translates to: We want a shower too!
So i watered the White Layers who tried to catch water drops out of the air.
Then i watered the Buff Orpingtons and the Blue Swedish ducks who flapped their wings in the shower.
Finally i started to water the Black Swedish ducks and almost puked. 🦨 These three girls stink! They performed a happy dance under the garden hose, but when they get wet, it seems their oil gland erupts like a volcano. They are completely waterproof! I have not seen a duck as waterproof as these girls. Their feathers won't get wet a bit. They literally repel water. If they walk into the pond, the water will leave…

I will try to introduce the ducknagers to the pond this week, we were cutting hay around the pond this afternoon, to the enjoyment of the mallards who caught a lot of panicked insects that jumped right into the water…
And if the water leaves, i'll be able to pull that dead pine tree out.
One of the strangest things about our adults is the fact they just run if we try to give them a "shower". When it rains they are all out there having an excellent time running around flapping, just having a ball. But from the hose it is like we are trying to kill them or something. Put the hose down and they will run over and play in the stream coming out of the end. It has really confused me, considering. I have tried a couple nozzles with varying size sprays, and it doesn't matter, they will run from it.

One of the strangest things about our adults is the fact they just run if we try to give them a "shower". When it rains they are all out there having an excellent time running around flapping, just having a ball. But from the hose it is like we are trying to kill them or something. Put the hose down and they will run over and play in the stream coming out of the end. It has really confused me, considering. I have tried a couple nozzles with varying size sprays, and it doesn't matter, they will run from it.
Same here, with the exception of the ducknagers and the mallards!
All ducks run for the hill if it is artificial rain from the sprinkler or the hose.
All ducks are enjoying natural rain if it is not coming down in buckets.
The ducknagers and the wild mallards really do enjoy being hosed down on a hot day. They enjoy catching water-drops out of mid air, flapping their wings and do happy dances. The other ducks are like: »Pfft! Simple minded ducks!«

My hens run from the hose, but my Drake's puff up their chests and stand tall with their wings held out. The boys especially love it when I put it on the stream setting and hit their chest like a water gun target at the fair. I'm assuming it feels like some sort of water massage😂 I did set up a sprinkler this year and kept it on the mist setting which the hens loved. I would put it on 360 rotate and watch the ducks waddle in circles trying to bite the water.

Back
Top Bottom