Are spent grains okay for chickens, anyone feeding them regularly?

kmlmgm

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Hi!
There is a distillery near us that will give away their spent grains on a rotating basis. What do you guys think about feeding this? Anyone doing it? I got the idea from my neighbor, she picks it up from time to time for her pigs.

Brewery grains and distillery grains are usually readily eaten by chickens. It is going to be moderately high in calories, high in protein (28%+), very low in sugars, inverted Ca:p (1:2 need 6:1 in layers but you can fix that with oystershells or limestone). If you feed it wet, it's going to be about 75% water so it's a good way to get some extra water into them in the heat. You can also freeze blocks of it and save it for later. It will spoil within a few days so don't get a 50 gallon tub of it. I;ll get a 5 gallon bucket and feed it to 16 chickens in 2-3 days.

Just like everything else, use it as a feed extender or treat not the mainstay of the diet. It is used extensively in chicken feed (usually the 2nd or 3rd ingredient) but there's other stuff added to it to make it a complete nutritious feed.

I've fed brewers grains and corn distillers when available. Feed it wet mixed with their regular food if I want to up the protein levels a little, they eat it no problem.

Back
Top Bottom