Are Started Pullets Safe?

Agreed with Lof Mc. How many s.f. per bird in coop AND run? My concern is that there is not appreciable bedding. Just "soil and river rock" IMO translates to a fecal laden mess over time. This would not help to control the pathogens in the soil.

Have you considered converting to deep litter management?

I would not want to be adding any new birds of any age until at least next spring if I was dealing with these kinds of losses.
I tried deep litter and hated it, doesn't work for me.
I will get measurements in a bit.

Sigh, guess it's goodbye main flock.

I've been slowly catching up to your circumstances as this thread has evolved.

So after reading the last post, I'm now editing this to state I think you've got litter/field management with crowding issues as the root cause. The illnesses are simply symptoms of that root. What size are your pens? Dirt will not allow for good litter control, nor I doubt the corn husks (though I've not used it admittedly....I've had terrible luck with straw which is similar...it just molds, doesn't absorb, and allows stuff to grow in it).

With 85 birds, you will always have something going on unless you are on top of field/litter and overall management. Chicken keeping is constant management. The larger the flock, the more occurrence statistically that can and will happen.

The larger the flock, the more poop, the more poop, the more pathogens build up. That's why field and/or litter rotation is essential.

You state you realize you don't have litter/field/pen control yet. Then, don't add more birds until you've got that resolved. My math suggests that 85 minus 15 still leaves about 70 birds to manage on ground that is not receiving appropriate treatment yet. You've just treated birds.

Until you get litter management under control, you will still be pushing pathogens into the litter and environment with crowding stress in the birds bringing on illness.

From the med list, I can deduce your vet is treating coccidosis, worms, and likely MG or a gram negative bacteria like Pasturella or eColi or Salmonella.

All of those illness are exacerbated by crowding stress and poop build up in poor litter choice. Get those things under control. You may be losing less simply because your numbers are now down enough to lower stressors. Also you've medicated but very likely not eradicated.

As to sand, I don't like it, nor do others in my area, because my soil is clay...like clay pot clay. I also live in a very rainy climate. Adding sand and water to clay creates concrete. (There actually is a famous concrete manufacturer in our area using our fine clay soil with sand).

Sand stagnates easily. I find it harder to change out. It is miserable to track.

However, there are those on BYC who thoroughly recommend sand. I think they are in much drier climate and have more loamy soil.

Just my experiences.

LofMc

:( Alright, I guess I wont. I'll remove my roosters and just forget about pullets.

I did not state clearly, the deaths occurred in my main flock and all hen flock. The rooster flocks have thrived great. No bantams died, but are dealing with the respitory thing.
Thanks

I can't believe I've gone 6 years with no troubles and this year comes along and just shatters everything I've ever known.

A 10 x 10 run is only big enough for 10 birds.... That's when there are no other stressors involved, like too many roosters, pre existing disease, poor litter management.
I know.. It was never meant for long term use, they're meant to be free ranged. The run was just so they could be outside early morning before I opened the gate. I never expected a pack of coyotes to live ON the place, I can manage when they just run through, but it's harder to deal with it when they make your home theirs.

Do you have more birds now than in the last 6 years?
What do you do in winter....lots of snow and blowing cold there?
Yes, usually I had 50. Got 2 new coops this year so I hatched out my own eggs for fun.
Oh yeah, -38°F last year. Surprisingly didn't lose any chickens to the cold, just tons of frostbite.
My chickens hate the snow, so they've stayed inside all winter. I tried everything and they just refuse to come outside.
I'm trying to get two more buildings fixed up, so then I can split the flocks into groups of 12 for winter. And since now I'm not getting pullets, it'll be simple to do so.

I'm trying to get two more buildings fixed up, so then I can split the flocks into groups of 12 for winter. And since now I'm not getting pullets, it'll be simple to do so.
There ya go, get rid of most the males will take you back down to reasonable numbers.
Make plans for more grow out areas before hatching anymore birds.
I think overcrowding was probably the main issue if you hadn't had problems before,
unless bring in new stock might have also brought the diseases you experienced.
Better bedding management might help too.

There ya go, get rid of most the males will take you back down to reasonable numbers.
Make plans for more grow out areas before hatching anymore birds.
I think overcrowding was probably the main issue if you hadn't had problems before,
unless bring in new stock might have also brought the diseases you experienced.
Better bedding management might help too.
They all grew out in my bathroom for 3 months :gig
My roosters are my buddies ;) I'll put the troublesome ones on the upcoming poultry auction, but my favorite boys are staying right here. I love em to bits.

Back
Top Bottom