Are Started Pullets Safe?

HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
I'm having problems with random deaths all this summer, just peek at my previous threads.

I haven't had a death in several weeks now. Unfortunately mostly hens perished and my hen to roo ratio is out of whack by a huge number.
I really do not want to take out roosters as they work together very well to protect my hens, if I remove them then my hens will be short on bodyguards. Sadly it didn't take long to start noticing bald spots on their backs, so I'm running out of time to decide.

I found 2 places within short driving distance selling started pullets, I've bought chicks from the one and the other place usually sells chicken meat, not living ones, but I guess they do this every fall.

My issue is, I worry about bringing in new illness or making the new ones sick.

Are Started pullets just as risky as bringing in regular adult birds?

I also think it is important to know what was killing your own birds before you bring in any new ones, otherwise you may just continue to have more losses.
Stress increases the chances of disease breaking out and spreading. Integration of new birds causes stress.
Multiple cockerels also cause stress and can cause injury as well as feather loss. How old are your boys? Apart from acting as look outs and early warning systems, most roosters are not effective as "bodyguards". Not worth the aggravation to the pullets in my opinion.

Marek's is one of the few diseases that can evade quarantine due to it having long dormant phases and being in adjacent coops would certainly not quarantine for it at all. There is a risk with bringing anything other than day old chicks from a good hatchery with biosecurity, into your flock, but since you have already had problems with random deaths, your flock may be more of a risk to any new birds you buy.

I also think it is important to know what was killing your own birds before you bring in any new ones, otherwise you may just continue to have more losses.
Stress increases the chances of disease breaking out and spreading. Integration of new birds causes stress.
I agree with this ^^

@HuskerHens18
How many chickens do you currently have? How many Hens and roosters? What are there ages?
Do you have other fowl - turkeys or ducks?
Photos of your current flock, housing and run(s) would be helpful.

I can't find any place where you posted the official results of the testing/necropsy - can you give us more information as to what the reports stated?

Please do not take this the wrong way - I took a very quick look at your previous posts, especially the one's in the ER threads, it looks like you have been dealing with a multitude of things - Coccidiosis, some type of respiratory illness and/or possibly bacterial infection (speculation on my part by looking at some of the poop you posted).
I understand that you have had testing/necropsy and spend $$$ trying to figure all this out. I can't imagine losing that many birds in such a short period of time and it must be heartbreaking.

I would not only be concerned that started pullets may bring in another unknown illness/condition, but unless you get a handle on what caused the death of so many chickens, I would also be concerned that the new birds may pick up something from your current flock. This may result in more deaths and heartbreak.

There is not a really "good answer" in this particular situation. You can try it and see how it goes.
If you do get the pullets, then quarantine is a good idea. I would definitely either feed medicated chick starter or have Corid on hand, you could always give a preventative dosage of Corid if you don't use medicated feed.

If you quarantine correctly introducing started pullets shouldn't be an issue. Ask if they are vaccinated against Marek's and worm them.Quarantine for forty days(It may seem like a very long time, but I always do this and have never had issues with disease) and then begin to integrate. I have had great experience with started red sex link pullets, as they are the most popular breed in NZ. Good luck, and keep us posted on your decison :)
I can do that! I am trying to fix up an old goat shed, its connected to my bantam barn but they'd have 0 access to each other as they'd be separated by 2 thick wood walls. That really gives me hope, thank you! The one place is selling started ISA Browns (which I think are red sexlinks?) and the other is selling mixed breed, good egg layers.
I'll definitely update! :)

If you quarantine correctly introducing started pullets shouldn't be an issue. Ask if they are vaccinated against Marek's and worm them.Quarantine for forty days(It may seem like a very long time, but I always do this and have never had issues with disease) and then begin to integrate. I have had great experience with started red sex link pullets, as they are the most popular breed in NZ. Good luck, and keep us posted on your decison :)

Here's my take on it...

Get the started pullets from the place you got chicks IF those birds were not the ones that died mysteriously. It may have nothing to do with your flock or conditions but genetics.

Since you know you've had coccidiosis, know that it can scar the intestines, even when treated, that leads to life long malnourishment and wasting. Heat stresses things even more. I have had some wasting deaths after a coccidiosis outbreak, and after treatment, and after apparent healing. Those affected birds were never do wells afterwards likely from intestinal injury and eventually died, though not at the same time.

So my thought is the coccidiosis and your deaths, other than the storm caused, are likely related.

Some birds genetically have more strength to fight off coccidiosis due to stronger immune systems and natural resistance. Back to your chick origination. Can you remember where you got the birds that have not been thriving? Then, order from the other guy if you can.

Then I would isolate the started pullets not so much for your flock's safety (as I agree with @rebrascora ), you really can't isolate from Marek's unless you've got a bubble tent and chicken hazmat suits...and if the one is 10 minutes away...they've likely been exposed too as it is in the area. So, personally, I wouldn't worry about Marek's.

I would be concerned about the coccidiosis. Those nastly little protozoa are opportunists. They lurk in the intestines growing exponentially with the right environmental conditions. Then they mature in the gut to release thousands of oocyts that are the seeds for the next generation. Your soil likely has high contamination, so litter and ground management will be necessary as well. If able, field rotate. If not that, then shovel out litter and replace with fresh.

Bloody diarrhea only happens with certain strains and only if it attacks the lower intestinal tract. Other strains are more insidious lurking higher in the tract robbing the bird of nutrition.

I would put your started pullets on medicated feed so that they build a slow immunity to the strain on your soil, and putting them on fresh litter in the goat shed. Watch their poo for volume and color. Coccidiosis sometimes simply creates voluminous fluffy poo and that huddled, scruffy look. Heat stress adds to it.

Once your started pullets are stabilized, looking healthy from transition stress, after about 30 days, then I would introduce them to the main flock.

At some point, you simply have to breed for resistance. While meds are very useful, quite honestly they were invented for flocks that were kept in very cramped quarters for high turnover and high profit. Long term sustainability was never the main goal.

As backyard flock owners, we can manipulate and adapt for longer term sustainability, breeding from the stronger ones, using meds and management as necessary, but always with the long term goal in mind.

Buying strong breed lines from an area close by is generally the best idea IF that was not the source of the birds that did not thrive.

My thoughts.
LofMc

You are welcome. (My daughter became a vet tech working for an avian vet, then became an organic farmer, and we used my flock for her studies while she learned her trade...so I learned a few things too).

Good for you for keeping a flock book. (I keep one as well).

That can really help manage a flock for long term sustainability and wise breeding. Mark origination and any illness and treatment. Track. Breed from the best.

And litter management now to get as many of those oocysts out of your soil. They literally are a ticking time bomb.

LofmC

Multiple cockerels also cause stress and can cause injury as well as feather loss. How old are your boys? Apart from acting as look outs and early warning systems, most roosters are not effective as "bodyguards". Not worth the aggravation to the pullets in my opinion.

Marek's is one of the few diseases that can evade quarantine due to it having long dormant phases and being in adjacent coops would certainly not quarantine for it at all. There is a risk with bringing anything other than day old chicks from a good hatchery with biosecurity, into your flock, but since you have already had problems with random deaths, your flock may be more of a risk to any new birds you buy.

Very true, :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom