Are Started Pullets Safe?

IMG_20180808_143526_773.jpg
Here's my special boy! Not for dinner ;) He's too cuddly for that

Okay so how many bantams are supposed to fit in a 24x10 coop? Their run is 10x5.

I'll start doing the math from there.

Your coop is 24 feet long by 10 feet wide? Sounds pretty big. The run space sounds significantly smaller though. I have bantams, and I pretty much stick to the same space rules as for big chickens (approx. 10 sq. ft. per chicken, but bigger is usually better). I’ve heard that bantams can get by with less space, but I just go by the big chicken rules to be safe. That means for your size run, I’d say about 5 chickens.

Your coop is 24 feet long by 10 feet wide? Sounds pretty big. The run space sounds significantly smaller though. I have bantams, and I pretty much stick to the same space rules as for big chickens (approx. 10 sq. ft. per chicken, but bigger is usually better). I’ve heard that bantams can get by with less space, but I just go by the big chicken rules to be safe. That means for your size run, I’d say about 5 chickens.
The coop was a horse barn, used for goats, which I converted half into a chicken coop with a run shooting straight out. Had to skinny it as I dumbly blocked the only entrance into the pen. (The run is inside another pen)

OKAY

So after a heartbreaking decision, I'm rehoming my birds who aren't as lovable as others. Like my egg eaters and jerks, maybe some duplicate roos in my rooster flocks.

My respitory disease scare is gone, the birds I did not treat with Tylan have stopped coughing entirely and look perfect, as do the ones I DID treat. I'm blaming bad ventilation and a dusty environment, I'm adding two more windows on each side! This thing is going to be the ventilation king of coops!
My main flock is still great, I reduced the size and am officially BACK to free ranging! Things are going good again.

Back
Top Bottom