Are the nipple watering systems worth it?

We started with the large can style waterer.It was heavy and we had to clean it out constantly. We saw an ad on byc home page for poop-free waterer and ordered the kit. A little spendy for what you get, but totally worth it in my opinion! We used our own 5 gallon bucket with lid. We put old waterer outside and hung nipple bucket in coop. If we want more we only need to get more nipples.

We bought 6 nipples from QC Supply and I can say that it was the bed money I ever spent! I am using 3 on each 5 gallon Lowes bucket and hubby has hooked them onto a big chain that then hangs from huge bolts off of the run ceiling supports. The chickens love them!

In the summer, I just freeze big cubes of ice and dump them in the bucket as needed. In winter, we have ours wrapped with heat tape from Home depot. It gets plugged in and keeps the water from freezing. Works like a charm! I never have frozen water and I just clean and replenish as needed.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have been curious about the use of heat tape... like you would use on pipes right? Im in Vermont and we definitely have cold stretches below zero quite often. I even thought about running it under the floor of the coop as heat for the winter days, although I learned in a chicken workshop recently that it's the draft or wind that causes the real problem - not cold.

I think that I am still not getting this nipple thing - I see that they have threads. How do they attach to a 5 gal bucket?? I would have thought that they screwed on to the bottom of a bottle.

Do they work with a little stainless ball like a hamster or guinea pig feeder?

The kit we purchased came with drill bit, chicken nipples, and washers /o rings, instructions. You simply drill holes in bottom of bucket, insert nipples as directed and hang finished waterer. They are quick and easy to complete. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom