are the Orpington hens the best choice to be broody and be mothers?

I have an 8 month Buff Orp that has just gone broody
barnie.gif
I do not want her to be broody. It's December. I live in Northeastern Ohio. It's cold. It's about to go bitter cold. What is this mother clucker thinking? Last night I had to turn her upside down off the eggs she was "guarding" as she growled and pecked at me all the while fluffing completely into one big featherball....
gig.gif
Like that was gonna stop me from gathering eggs. I had 2 orders on Sunday for 17 dozen eggs. I am literally out in the barn with my hand out trying to catch the eggs as they are laid.

Quote:
I heard it from some American hatchery sites (maybe they do it for advertising purposes) and I also remembered reading a Poultry book many years ago explaining that heavier breeds are more liker to sit on their eggs and from my point of view, Orpingtons are a large breed.

but yes I maybe wrong, These kind of info do tend to be dodgy.
hmm.png

There are no guarantees. I think their individual traits are more important than breed traits! I only have two hens, an Australorp and a black sex link. I'd read that sex link chickens are the least likely to go broody, but mine did and stayed that way for over three weeks until I finally blocked the nest box! From doing some Googling, I found information that indicates the BSLs are more likely go broody than the RSLs. My Aussie, OTOH, has not gone broody yet.
idunno.gif

Quote:
It depends on the strain. Non-hatchery birds tend to go broody more often than hatchery birds in my experience.

Correct. Hatchery strains tend to be more nervous and less broody. I knew of some exhibition Leghorns that were broody. Years ago, but had friends with some.

Historicaly Orpingtons have been good broodies, but many have selected against that. A broody does not produce.

If you want to encourage broodies, leave a clutch of nest eggs. About six wooden or plastic should work. Seeing a cluth seems to help trigger them.

I have an Old English Game (standard size) who not only has gone broody, but has raised chicks while free-ranging in a barnyard full of hungry cats (she attacked the cats if they got too close to her babies). I have read from breeders that they actually use their OEG hens to hatch out chicks and raise them. I think that just because a breed is noticed to 'go broody' doesn't mean they can reliably be used as setters and mothers.

This site is so amazing for all the different personal experience you will find.

I have orps. I have a couple buff hatchery girls and I have a couple nice flocks of heritage girls. My orps go broody - both the hatchery girls and my heritage girls.

BUT my BEST broodies are my bantam cochins. I have a red who is broody every 3-4 months - year round and my silver laced also raise 2-3 clutches each year.

Quote:
Your girl is thinking that you have provided the correct environment that she needs to hatch a clutch of eggs - feel honored. She is well fed - which lets her sit on a clutch for 3 weeks or more and she feels safe. If she was mine, I would give her some fertile eggs to hatch - even in minus degree weather my broody raised chicks thrive.

I have three Buff Orpington girls and they have all successfully hatched out a clutch each. The only breed of mine (including two Cochin crosses) to do so.

The first one went broody and hatched fertilized eggs I placed under in April. Then the baby Roo I bought matured. The second one hatched hers in September. The last girl, who isn't even a year old, hatched her clutch of twelve just seven weeks ago.

They do a great job of mothering in every aspect.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom