Are there any breeds that do NOT sing an egg song???

cinnamongirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
Deltona
We need extra quiet chickens lol. I've read threads about egg songs and I can understand why people get excited to hear it, I would too. But I also read how some hens sound like someone is hurting them when they sing their song. Is there a paticular breed that I can trust not to tell the neighborhood everytime she lays? We're still planning and researching so I want to take every precaution I can to prevent any neighbor issues!

I don't know if it's breed specific, but my EE and my light brahma are the quietest.

My BO sounds like a honking goose, and my RIR sounds like she's been a chain smoker her whole life.

Haven't heard/seen by buttercup lay an egg. She's a sneaky one and doesn't like an audience.

I have two RIR bantams who are stealth layers. Not a peep out of them and after seeing some of the relatively HUGE eggs (the size of regular "large" eggs from such little hens) I don't know how they can stay so quiet! I have one little white leghorn bantam who carries on for the longest time before laying and just a wee little egg results from all that raucus. I've got two Golden Comets who aren't laying, yet. I hope they're nice and quiet since I, too, have to consider our neighbors. Good Luck.

We have 28 hens, and have started to lay on Labor day...not sure which ones are laying of course, but I have never heard the egg song yet and the chickens aren't far from the house. I only hear them sqwuaak when the roosters are bugging them or they are all arguing over their 'spot' on the roost.

You take your chances with any hens. It seems they know when you need them to be discrete and then they scream their heads off. I'm in orlando in a residential area and totally illegal. My two silver wynattets insist on sleeping in the oak tree in the FRONT yard and on labor day weekend my gate came open and the neighbors said that all my ladies where all over the street and in other yards until dark when they went home to sleep. So even the best laid plans go wrong sometimes. But I sure do love my ladies and it is worth the risk of breaking the law. Luckily the neighbors thought it was pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom