Are there any fruits that are NOT ok for my chickens?

My 20 week old chicks get a garlic treat every night before they go to bed. For a dozen hens I mix 3-4 cloves of FRESH pressed garlic and about a cup of plain yogurt into enough chick feed to make it soft and crumbly. They love it.

To get the benefits of garlic it must be fresh and it must be eaten soon if not immediately after opening.

I'm just now starting to get eggs and have only one hen laying very small eggs. Don't know how the garlic is effecting the eggs but they sure are yummy.

Pullets are also getting plenty of fruit right now in the way of apples, apricots, strawberries and blackberries. All of these fruits grow in my back yard and are void of any sprays or poisons. Once a day I toss out a handful of a nice homemade grain mixture for them to scratch: millet, winter wheat, split peas, lintels, safflower seeds, sunflower seeds, and a tiny bit of cracked corn.

I have a big wisteria bush that is supposed to be poisonous to chickens, but I've seen them munch on leaves with no effect.

My pullets are probably the most robust I've ever seen. I owe it to garlic and yogurt every day, along with fresh natural foods.

Quote:
Yep, I give everything, poisonous or not to them, and they are smart enough to figure out what is good or not to eat. They don't eat the peels. I think you would only have a problem feeding poisonous food to them if they are starving and it's the only thing they have to nibble on. I don't worry about what they can and can't eat cuz they got a full feeder 24/7 and I can't possibly patrol 7 acres.

Quote:
Mine love strawberries and tomatoes, also. No ill effects and this has been awhile ago. I had to fence up my tomatoes from them.
I also had to fence in my broccoli (sp) as it was in shreds. It was the first place they headed in the mornings, MY GARDEN!
that is too funny about the cores hanging off the tree!

Last edited:
wow, i just use the apple peeling of a granny smith and it hasn't affected there laying. actually i have gotten more eggs the last 5 days then ever!
hmmmm.

WHEN I WAS A KID MY PARENTS FED OUR CHICKENS SOME LEFT OVER FISH THAT WE HAD COOKED UP. WE COULDNT EAT THEIR EGGS FOR A WEEK AFTER THAT FOR THE FISHY TASTE. IM WONDERING IF THE SAME WOULDNT HAPPEN WITH TO MUCH GARLIC. DONT GET ME WRONG I LOVE THE STUFF, BUT NOT FIRST THING IN THE MORNING WITH MY TOAST AND JAM.

lol
my dad was stationed in japan and he bought some fresh eggs there and he said they did the same thing with the fish. he said they were horrible. he grew up on a farm so he had fresh eggs all the time.
i was just trying to think of things i could give my chickens as treats. because when i go to check for eggs, they are there waiting at my feet and looking up at my hands. i had one jump up towards my hand! scared me i wasn't looking at them i was making sure our dogs did not follow me in the chicken pen (18ftx25ft).

Back
Top Bottom