Are there any plain ol' chicken owners here?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster0209, Jun 19, 2008.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Just free range, nothing special mixed breeds?

That is how my flock (12) are. The eggs were given to me by some friends because I wanted "pretty" chickens on my farm. I was not interested in any particular breed and knew nothing of breeds or chickens anyway.

Currently they are 4wks old and are in a covered run and can go in/out of the coop. When they are bigger, they will be free ranging on my farm.

Some of the purebred are gorgeous, I like the Silver laced wyondottes but probably wont get any considering they would eventually be mixed too. But who knows, maybe next year.

Anyone else out there?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have both, does that count?

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I have pure and mixed. I'll keep some pure but I will let some mix. They don't free range because the neighbor's let their dogs roam and our horses may step on them. But, I do let them out to run about the front yard a few hours a day while I am out there watching them.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I have both. [​IMG]

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have 2 grown RIR's, 2 three month olds, and 2 about 6 day old. Then I have one EE, and one BR, all of these I got from the feed store. I have a game hen that just decided to come live with me. She was living in a tree but now she stays in the barn, she's broody. And then I have a silkie that a friend of mine found lost in the storm and was being attacked by dogs, so she brought her to me to save. They all free range most of the day.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Well, I'm plain and a little bit old. But my Buff Orps are gorgeous!

7. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    I have a combination. My yard flock is an interesting mix of mutts and I love them. There are also pens where we keep the pure breeds seperate.

8. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I have two BRs, four Buff Orps, and an incubator full of mutt eggs - and four blue/black orp eggs. I've only been chicken farming for a couple of months, so all of mine are chicks.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'm a plain ol' chicken owner who actually culls and butchers and treats chickens like chickens....is that what you mean? I have a mixed flock and also breeds that I intend to cross over with RIR and Partridge Rock rooosters. I keep chickens for food, for profit and for the pleasure of getting both while keeping a farming tradition alive. The comfort of watching them peck and scratch, and hearing the purr of the hens and the crow of the rooster, brings back memories of grandma's house. [​IMG]

10. sueg6255

sueg6255 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    I am just a plan old chicken person. I have RIR, cochins, etc and mutts and love them all. started with 4 golden commets . I free range my birds and just use them for eggs for us and friends mostly..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by