Are there any white egg laying breeds that are not skittish and vocal?

Cubalayas are supposed to lay a cream egg, aren't they?
wink.png

My Polish are anything but flighty, aggressive, unfriendly, or vocal. They're very dependable layers of bright white eggs though.

Quote:
That's hard to say, as the egg color is not mentioned in the standard. Most of the eggs I've seen are white, although my ( feather color) whites lay a light brown egg. Mostly they lay a very lightly tinted egg.
To be fair, I have some good quality breeder leghorns, and they are NOT flighty, noisy, at all. They are well tempered birds. However, the eggs they hatched from were the same, or even a darker shade of creamy white as the Cubalaya eggs. It may be best to say that you you can get even tempered chalk white layers if you get them from a good breeder.

Great thread! I was just going to post this same question, because we have a neighbor who won't buy our brown eggs but he says if we have white ones he will. So I am researching for a quiet, relatively docile white egg laying breed that does well in a mixed flock. The plan is to end up with 2 RSL, 2 Doms, 2 white egg layers and 2 more brown egg layers, breed to be decided.

I have a hatchery blue andalusian. She's super friendly and lays a small white egg about 5-6 days out of the week. Hardly makes any noise. She is, however, a great flier and is not contained by my 6 foot high fence, ever. She is always out. She does stay on my property though.

46869_img_1479.jpg

I also have 4 leghorns and they are also incredibly friendly and snuggly. I did raise them from chicks. They are very quiet.

Something I've discovered about both breeds though is that they want love on their terms. If you come at them quickly, they'll skedaddle like you're going to kill them. But if I just sit down, they'll jump in my lap and melt when I pet them.

I also have a white egg layer, a phoenix. She is very meek, hardly makes noise and lays a bantam sized slightly off-white colored egg. She is, however, one of the masters of broodiness in this universe so I hardly ever get eggs from her.

I just got 5 california white chicks from Ideal last week. So far, they are the most docile and friendly of the bunch. The are the most easily handled and less skittish than even my white cochin chicks (that are in with them). I also got some production black chicks from them this last week that are fairly mellow. I'll keep you updated on their behavior as they grow.

Both california whites and production blacks are prolific layers of white eggs. I believe that Ideal still has them both in stock.
thumbsup.gif

I didn't even the of my OEGB hens when I mentioned the Anconas. They are extremely quite and the most docile hens I have ever had.
They have layed well for me in the 2 summers I have had them as well. I orginally thought their eggs to be very white, but after putting
in the carton with the Ancona eggs they are not as white but still look white next to brown eggs. I will say the Ancona eggs are larger,
but the OEGB eggs make great cakes if you add a couple extra.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I almost think that temperament can be tempered by raising chicks to become docile. I'm not willing to try this theory on this batch tho. As I said, I first have to train my husband to like the chickens, then we can go from there. So I should add Hollands and Polish to my list, and OEGB, California White's and Production Blacks.

Hamburgs have a reputation for being flighty, but my hens are really calm and not at all easily frightened. I suspect, though, that the fact that I have three of them in a four by thirty foot run has something to do with that. They are certainly quiet, making little murmuring conversational calls that can only be heard from quite close up. The cockerel is a bit less placid, but his crow is polite and tenor compared to the baritone clarion calls of my two BLRW cockerels.

And I'm getting about 18 eggs a week from the three pullets.

I have 3 Blue Andalusians and they lay HUGE white eggs- they are a year old. Mine don't seem to be loud and are pretty calm. Everyone thinks they are roosters because of the comb! I will probably always keep a few of them. Thet are very pretty birds!

Back
Top Bottom