Are there any white egg laying breeds that are not skittish and vocal?

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I am looking to build my flock with every imaginable color egg that I can get. I also have a husband that doesn't like loud sounds, so no roosters for us, and no loud hens either. I was looking at white egg layers and it seems that they are all quite skittish and vocal. I ordered some campines to arrive next week and I'm wondering if I should substitute these for some other breed (non-white laying for now).

I should probably add that I'm looking at large fowl only at this point in time.

Anyone have any ideas?

List of breeds suggested throughout this thread in post 6.

Last edited:
I've got a wonderful little hen, she's a Cream Brabanter, and she lays a nice medium to large sized egg very faithfully. The egg is white. She's one of my oldest, favorite hens. She's super friendly, loves to be held, but she does grumble a little bit. I don't think she's loud, but when she sees me, she will grumble to me until I pick her up.

She's not the least bit skittish, and I just love her! She's a smaller breed, but considered large fowl.

Here's a pic:

23665_oliveandpetitemiss.jpg

She's the smaller one on the right

A great layer!

Campines are very good layers but you'll want to chat with those that own them for temperament. A docile creamy white layer to consider is Dorking, average layer and good with mixed flock. Faverolle don't do so well in mixed flock but another docile creamy color egg layer of good production.

Some here on BYC have had good luck with the flighty white egg layers. My own experience with Leghorn was they'd come when called but certainly couldn't pet or pick one up. No closer than three feet. Mixed well with the flock and excellent layer.

I have my first Anconas this year, I had heard that they were a bit skittish, but mine don't seem to be at all.
One even shadows me everywhere and does not mind being touched. Also they are not vocal at all except for
the normal eggs song, and even then they aren't the opera singers the others are.

It is funny..I have 3 white leghorns...not a choice I would have made and won't make again...but one of three I have is the sweetest little girl...not skittish and I hardly ever hear from her..if all leghorns could be like her I would get more! The other 2..well...not so much! Are most white breeds considered to be skittish and vocal? There is a big diffrence I noticed with the leghorns vs my other dark breeds~

Last edited:
I'll keep adding to this list of QUIET white egg laying chickens as responses come in.

Thanks for the answers so far. so on my list are now:
1. Brabanters (I like this since I'm from Holland originally too)
2. Dorkings
3. Anconas
4. Blue andalusians
5. Cubalayas
6. Hollands
7. Polish
8. OEGB,
9. California White's
10. Production Blacks.
11. Hamburgs

Everything I've read about the Campines say that they talk up a storm, so I just called meyer to substitute something else. A brown egg layer for now but I will look into the white eggers next year and research all winter! And yes, leghorns were off my list very quickly after some research. i get it that these traits are also different from bird to bird within one breed, but I will not take the chance this early on. I don't want my husband to turn around and have me get rid of all chickens because they are talkative. We need to build this up real slowly. Start with the more docile and quiet breeds and then work our way up. Yea, I'm devious like that!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Cubalayas. Extremely tame and docile, quiet too. Some strains lay more of a cream egg, but, most of mine are white. Some strains of Old English and or American Games also will lay a white egg.

Back
Top Bottom