Are there anyways to deter foxes?

Are there anyways to deter foxes. Has it worked for you? If so whats it called?
Certainly! There are several ways to deter foxes from your property, and different methods may work for different situations. Some commonly used deterrents include:

1. Fox Repellents:
- There are commercial fox repellent sprays available that use natural or chemical ingredients to deter foxes.
- Homemade solutions like garlic or chili pepper sprays may also be effective.

2. Fencing:
- Installing a secure fence around your property can prevent foxes from entering.
- Make sure the fence is tall enough and extends below ground to prevent digging.

3. Motion-Activated Devices:
- Motion-activated sprinklers or lights can startle foxes and discourage them from coming into your yard.

4. Remove Attractants:
- Secure trash cans and compost bins to eliminate potential food sources.
- Avoid leaving pet food or scraps outside.

5. Sound Deterrents:
- Some people use radios or ultrasonic devices that emit high-frequency sounds to deter foxes.

6. Pets and Livestock Protection:
- Keep small pets indoors, especially during the night.
- If you have livestock, ensure their pens are secure and protected.

7. Scents:
- Human hair, urine, or strong-smelling substances like ammonia may deter foxes. However, these need to be reapplied regularly.

8. Landscaping Changes:
- Modify your landscaping to eliminate hiding spots and make your property less attractive to foxes.

It's important to note that the effectiveness of these methods can vary, and a combination of deterrents may be more successful. Additionally, local regulations may impact the methods you can use. Always consider ethical and humane options when dealing with wildlife. If you're facing persistent issues, consulting with local wildlife authorities or professionals may be advisable.

I’ve mentioned relocating trapped animals before. I looked it up and it is illegal to do here without permission of the landowner that the animal is to be released upon.

Nuisance fur-bearing animals may be captured and relocated if the person has received authorization from the department and the owner of the property where the release will occur. A monthly report is required and must be submitted to the department on number and kind of fur-bearers captured, location of release site, name and address of person authorized to release.

Rabies Quarantine​

It is a Class C misdemeanor to transport or sell live foxes, coyotes and raccoons from, to, or within this state.”

Electric fencing, and/ or dogs.
Shooting a critter with a pellet gun or BB gun is considered animal abuse many places, it causes injuries, pain, and infections, not good.
Electric fencing, and/ or dogs.
Shooting a critter with a pellet gun or BB gun is considered animal abuse many places, it causes injuries, pain, and infections, not good.
Many of us don't have good areas where it's safe to use projectile weapon, with neighbors, the road, and our own animals in the field of fire. When possible, a 22 is effective, although it makes more sense to have electric fencing (if legal) and a dog or two.
Foxes are smart and hard to live trap, and should only happen if you plan to then shoot.
Mary
actually if I was able to shoot foxes or raccoons in my town, I would use .45 ratshot or a shotgun with a low recoil (low powered bird shot shell )…safer to nearby people …not to mention ricochets

Foxes are smart and hard to live trap, and should only happen if you plan to then shoot.

thanks all this info was very helpfull any comments on the thread are still apreciated. If u have any other ideas pls list them

Back
Top Bottom