Are there anyways to deter foxes?

Are there anyways to deter foxes. Has it worked for you? If so whats it called?
Human presence is a good deterrent. We had a fox problem 3 yrs ago. I lost half dozen birds because of them. I started going outside at dawn and dusk as a deterrent. Later, I used a timer to cause the radio in my barn to turn on around dusk & dawn. Hearing the radio acted as a deterrent too... I've also launched bottle rockets in the air to deter hawks but that also works well to deter critters if you know they are lurking around.

.30/30 rifle. Works well if you have good aim. Not so well if you don't.
Best deterrent I've found is keeping dogs nearby. I also keep weeds and brush cut waaaay back, well away from the chicken pens.
This and make your coop/run impenetrable. Had fox trying to dig into mine a couple of times, after that gave up. Still get racoons and opossum venturing by, but they can't get in either.

We also have dogs, but they're mostly indoor.

.30/30 rifle. Works well if you have good aim. Not so well if you don't.
Best deterrent I've found is keeping dogs nearby. I also keep weeds and brush cut waaaay back, well away from the chicken pens.
You only deter the fox you shoot. New foxes will arrive because they can multiply. Foxes are useful predators too because they hunt rats and mice too. Foxes are most active early mornings when the sun is not up yet. And tend not to hunt in the middle of the day.

I build a good run (covered) and free range my chickens mainly in the afternoon. When they are outside there are plenty of hide outs and if the chickens see a dog they fly on top of the run or over the hedge to the neighbours property. I never saw a fox when they were outside. But I expect they would do the same.

It's not in PA! 😀
You may want to double check that:
https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Pages/NuisanceWildlife.aspx
Since skunks – as well as raccoons, bats, groundhogs, foxes and coyotes – are rabies vector species, they should not be relocated like other wildlife. Homeowners who set traps and catch these species face the choice of dispatching the animal or releasing it. Releasing any of these animals can be a risky situation. There's the chance of being bitten or scratched or you could be sprayed by a skunk. If bitten or scratched, the wildlife will need to be tested for rabies.

In Missouri any wildlife that harms or kills livestock is considered a threat and we are allowed to take it out no matter what the season. Granted, a female fox hunting in the spring is just trying to feed her kits, but mother fox or not, she isn't going to do it on my birds.
I suspect that "any wildlife" excludes federally protected species such as migratory birds and endangered species.

Foxes are most active early mornings when the sun is not up yet. And tend not to hunt in the middle of the day.
Very true, but I am compelled to clarify further; they will absolutely hunt in the middle of the day if the need to hunt is strong enough - feeding kits, for example. The only chicken I lost to a fox was in the middle of the afternoon, when I surprised her in the attack. I have a video of another daytime attack near the same time period. My poor birds did not get to free-range for several months after that. I've taken measures since to minimize the opportunity.

That’s true too. A good fence and dogs are probably the best protection.
I like the fence within a fence, within a fence idea. and an electric one to boot! I saved my hen from a fox as he was carrying her away and thats all I needed to see. Good luck. some smart person on this forum once said, 'if you free range your hens, eventually you will have an attack. not a matter IF rather WHEN. I think this person was 100%. Everything wants to eat our chickens. I dont blame them tho. Look how beautiful and delicious they all look. All plump with shiny, pretty feathers pokin; around the yard all slow and just perfect. I cant watch the hens without wanting to pick one up and run away too. :wee

You may want to double check that:
They mean don't take it waaaay far away like in other state or county but relocating it to next road over isn't a big deal. Also there are some laws they protect livestock and that's different if that's your reason. In our chases we would be protecting livestock. In Pennsylvania you can't drive down a road without seeing three chicken coops.

Are there anyways to deter foxes. Has it worked for you? If so whats it called?
Wondering how much time one has to invest in shooting a fox? Lie in wait for hours -and hope they appear? They are incredibly wary and will run as soon as they sense any person approaching. Seems a big live catch box trap would work best.

Wondering how much time one has to invest in shooting a fox? Lie in wait for hours -and hope they appear? They are incredibly wary and will run as soon as they sense any person approaching. Seems a big live catch box trap would work best.
Im actauly not going to kill it if that what ur worried about im not gonna shoot it but these ones are not wary you can get in with 15 feet. from one then they jog away we did do a live catch thanks for the idea

Back
Top Bottom