Are there anyways to deter foxes?

Pics
honestly liz does need to it would be great
My mom said I should when I was about 14, she saw my sketches & listened to how I spoke about what I observed, describing these amazing, endearing creatures, just going about their day. She said write it down & draw the illustrations, but I thought she was nuts & just being a typical mom, lol. Thank you for your kind words, very much appreciated & quite possibly...right on time, what I need. ❤️

My mom said I should when I was about 14, she saw my sketches & listened to how I spoke about what I observed, describing these amazing, endearing creatures, just going about their day. She said write it down & draw the illustrations, but I thought she was nuts & just being a typical mom, lol. Thank you for your kind words, very much appreciated & quite possibly...right on time, what I need. ❤️
Just saw your post and loved it. I once saw 2 coyotes stalking a fox and I went out to intercede in their hunt. To me, foxes have a great role in keeping the rodent population down, the rabbit infestation in check, and are just a gorgeous sight to see on our 12 acres. I'd love to have the opportunity for one to come up to me, as they have done to you, and just sit by my side and know I appreciate them. I love their "laughs".

Truly, your mom was right. You have a gift.

well your mom was right. If you ever write one please share it with us

Toxoplasmosis infections in fox can render them as docile as a domestic dog.

https://www.national-fox-welfare.com/post/toxoplasmosis-in-the-red-fox
Interesting reading.
Our foxes are congenial with several cats that roam around, though, maybe because the foxes were always here & cats grew up as kittens always seeing them. Fortunately, no toxoplasmosis going on here.

What a wonderful organization! I'm buying a fox theme coffee mug for an elderly neighbor, she enjoys our resident foxes, too.

Just saw your post and loved it. I once saw 2 coyotes stalking a fox and I went out to intercede in their hunt. To me, foxes have a great role in keeping the rodent population down, the rabbit infestation in check, and are just a gorgeous sight to see on our 12 acres. I'd love to have the opportunity for one to come up to me, as they have done to you, and just sit by my side and know I appreciate them. I love their "laughs".
They are good rodent control, thank goodness. It is weird we seem to have plenty of rabbits, though. One rabbit hangs out with my chickens, I have no idea why. In the summer months that rabbit will actually stretch out & lay down where the chickens have scratched up the soil to dustbathe. When the chickens are out ranging & I garden, I see that crazy rabbit go into their pen & I have to chase her out. She wants to dig a hole & have her baby bunnies in there! Lol It made me wonder if she had a chat & struck a deal with the chickens about babysitting. 😆

I don't know why 1 fox always decides to befriend me either, I do not feed them. The other foxes run off as they should. Just 1, always a female, decides I must be cool to hang out with. It's a mystery, but I appreciate it.

I hear coyotes call at night. I've only actually seen 1 coyote & it was fast. Caught a glimpse of the expression...Not happy to see me & took off. They do not like being spotted.

Last edited:
Our foxes are congenial with several cats that roam around, though, maybe because the foxes were always here & cats grew up as kittens always seeing them. Fortunately, no toxoplasmosis going on here.
According to wikipedia-
In the United States, approximately 11% of people have been infected, while in some areas of the world this is more than 60%.
It's an incredibly common parasite that most humans will never notice even they're fully infected

foxes are typically wary of larger canids. Be it a dog, dingo or coyote.
Any tips on raising pups to stay outside 24/7?
All of my dogs for the past 30 years have either slept at the foot of the bed or in the bed with me.
Case in point, our border collie and corgi always sleep outside. They have kept the wildlife out of our yard for years and our chickens safely free-range. Until last week when the temps were sub-zero, we kept the chickens locked up and the dogs in the house.

After a few days of that, my cameras picked up a fox on two cameras on opposite sides of our property.

We let the dogs stay outside again and haven't seen anything since.

Back
Top Bottom