Are there certain breeds in which a pullet can hatch out with a comb?

I guess I should have said more pronounced combs, as in combs that are clearly visible at hatch. One breed I believe may be the leghorn.

I've only ever handled chicks in which the ones with clearly visible combs at day old, turn out to be cockerels. Most of my birds are backyard crosses.

I would like to increase my flock and breed them, for that I would like to steer away from breeds in which the pullets also display clear combs so that there's no confusion and stress for buyers earlier on.

Therefore my question which wasn't stated clearly - in which breeds do pullets show clearly visible combs at hatch.

I guess I should have said more pronounced combs, as in combs that are clearly visible at hatch. One breed I believe may be the leghorn.

I've only ever handled chicks in which the ones with clearly visible combs at day old, turn out to be cockerels. Most of my birds are backyard crosses.

I would like to increase my flock and breed them, for that I would like to steer away from breeds in which the pullets also display clear combs so that there's no confusion and stress for buyers earlier on.

Therefore my question which wasn't stated clearly - in which breeds do pullets show clearly visible combs at hatch.
I've found sexing day olds by comb size not really accurate. I've had both cockerels, & pullets grow pretty large combs at a few weeks.

There's really not that much of a difference with the size of a day old chick's comb.

Combs are always clearly visible at hatch, since chicks are wet once out of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom