Are there nice roosters?

If you want a nice rooster I second what everyone has said, you must show him you are the boss, in a way HE understands. Roosters are different from hens. Several of our "cuddle boys" were super sweet and friendly...until about a month after they started crowing. Then WHAMO! they were mean. Now we treat roosters as if we are the top roosters. I have the right of way...the rooster moves, not me. If he comes in my space, I "defend" it by walking briskly and with an aggressive attitude towards him. As youngsters they are not allowed on me or in my personal bubble. As they grow up I will occasionally lay my hand on their back and press down slightly (like a rooster does when they mount a hen) to give them the message that they are submissive to me. I never hurt my roosters, and I always am respectful, but firm about who is boss (unless they attack me, then soup pot it is!). Rhode Island Reds have a history of making mean roosters, though I have met two very nice RIR roos, so if you like him give it a go in my opinion. Good luck!

If you want a nice rooster I second what everyone has said, you must show him you are the boss, in a way HE understands. Roosters are different from hens. Several of our "cuddle boys" were super sweet and friendly...until about a month after they started crowing. Then WHAMO! they were mean. Now we treat roosters as if we are the top roosters. I have the right of way...the rooster moves, not me. If he comes in my space, I "defend" it by walking briskly and with an aggressive attitude towards him. As youngsters they are not allowed on me or in my personal bubble. As they grow up I will occasionally lay my hand on their back and press down slightly (like a rooster does when they mount a hen) to give them the message that they are submissive to me. I never hurt my roosters, and I always am respectful, but firm about who is boss (unless they attack me, then soup pot it is!). Rhode Island Reds have a history of making mean roosters, though I have met two very nice RIR roos, so if you like him give it a go in my opinion. Good luck!
I really think that if you start when they are young, there is no reason to hurt them. I know that people (and I have done it myself in the past) will hit them with sticks and kick them, but if they learn young, I feel that can all be avoided.

I push mine down too if they act naughty. Hold them still until they stop squiggling and accept. They get told NO first, but if one argues or something I step in. I'm the head honcho not them. Very rare they are respectable guys, and the one in the pic is usually the victim.

I just want to second this, the rooster always moves for me and I never move out of the way for them. I also made efforts without current roosters to walk briskly, confidently towards them when they were younger and to puff myself up when I thought they wouldn’t move. I also say “no” or “ knock it off” if I’m in the coop and our lead rooster crows or flaps (the others don’t crow when we share a space). I’m the boss, top of the pecking order. I believe these actions have led the roosters to see me as such instead of as a lower ranking flock mate.

I never turn my back on them and when the kids are outside and the chickens are out I remind them to stay away from the roosters, but thus far have not had an incident with any current roosters.

Last edited:
All good advice here! Cockerels here are managed the same way; I'm not a chicken, I'm the giant who brings food! They get out of my way and aren't made into 'pets'. Cuddle the pullets all you want, and move that cockerel away from you every time!
'Production reds', which are the orange colored RIRs from the hatchery/ feed store, have a well deserved reputation for being difficult. Try to keep him respectful, and if he does turn into a jerk, it's his genetics and can't be helped. Don't keep a human aggressive bird!!!
Polite useful roosters (I have four right now) are a delight to have in the flock. The others will taste great, and be useful for dinner.
Mary

My rooster, Benedict (my avatar), has a few favourite activities. They include following me around the yard while I work, jumping on my lap when I sit down, and taking naps on me. I take him on hikes and he follows right behind me making little clucks. Love him to death... I'd say that if you raise 'em right and get a breed that has a good-natured reputation, you'll probably do OK. :)

Back
Top Bottom