Are there such things as mutt hens?

art teacher

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2019
As a first timer with 8 hens, I was wondering if they all can be positively identified as a particular breed or can hens be mixed breed as well. We have an olive egger in our midst but unless I watch every egg being laid I don't know which hen it is. Our basket is wonderfully colored with blue-green, light tan, dark tan and terra cotta. Though I'm not sure who is laying what. As I read through some threads, I'm realizing I know NOTHING! We have two black, 3 tan, two orange and one whiteish hen. I'll post pics when I figure out how. They were all bought at the same time from Tractor Supply.

I'll post pics when I figure out how. They were all bought at the same time from Tractor Supply.
Most birds from TSC should be pure breeds, tho not necessarily stellar examples.
Exceptions being Easter Eggers/Olive Eggers, which are crosses;
and high production hybrid crosses like red and black sexlinks(many with names like Cinnamon Queens and many others).

I see you've gotten lots of forum navigation guidance in your welcome thread...
..but Welcome to BYC! @art teacher

so are the blue green ones olive eggers or easter eggers? They started off more blue but seem to have gotten greener. Are olive eggers a breed typically sold at Tractor Supply?
20190908_214121.jpg

Back
Top Bottom