1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are there sunlight requirements for chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Farmer Mike S, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Farmer Mike S

Farmer Mike S Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    I got four possible spots for my chicken coop, and two spots get at least a half day of direct sunlight, and the other two maybe get a few hours because they got big trees near them. I was wondering if light is an important factor for chickens, and theyre gonna have their own run so they will be in that spot all day by the way.

2. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    light is an important factor to chickens. They need 14 hours of light to lay

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens tend to love being outdoors--in the shade of a tree or bush. The spots with a few hours of sunlight with big trees shading the run seem like the best for hens. My hens love to sunbathe, but usually do so in the mornings and evenings, keeping to the shade in the middle of the day. Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We chose a spot that is shaded 70% of the day, and gets the setting sun after about 3pm. During the summer it works out great because the trees keep it shaded for most of the day. During the winter the chickens still go outside, and they all flock to the sunspots an sunbathe when they can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by