Are there ugly and attractive hens?

FrostyWind

Songster
7 Years
Jun 12, 2016
Hello Good day
For years now, watching my free range chickens My family and I have noticed that their are roosters who only go after certain females/hens?
Like these few hens are sexier to their eyes and liking so they chase after them more and mate. Mating, grabbing and chasing the hens till feathers are missing from their heads and back. Even then they still chase after her even tho her plumage and body looks unattractive (at least to us human eyes)?
Do Roosters think like that? There are hens that haven't been chased at all, they prefer those few hens instead of the many others.
I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense.
I'm certain they see my Silkie female/hen as probably Ugly, cause none of the many roosters I have, have ever tried to mate with her. They just walk pass her.
Tho their was one rooster who was little by little taking interest in her but he recently got ran over by a car.
So do chickens see each other as Ugly and Handsome?

I think it's more likely to be to do with the redness of the comb, ect. Although I have noticed my boys seem to like my Light Sussex more than their buff orpington wives.
They also definitely know the difference between each hen, however similar they look.

Back
Top Bottom