Are these actually Welsummers?

BlueberryEyes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
I got these as packaging peanuts and was told they were Welsummers and they did indeed look like Welsummer chicks. Well, as they grow, their coloring just seems too brown. Is it just because they are young? 2 of them are roos and 1 might be a hen. They were hatched about March1st- ish.

Definitely not Welsummers. They look like Rhode Island Red's to me, but were the chicks an even reddish color or with chipmunk stripes?

They looked exactly like the chipmunk chicks. I was told the only other chicks they were hatching in the hatchery were Speckled Sussex. Which look pretty much the same as Welsummers as babies.

Im sure they are not PR. PR chicks are yellow with rusty coloring. These were chipmunk babies.

That's true, pure RIR or the regular sex-links would be a uniform colored chick, that's why I asked about the chick coloring. I don't know of any pure breed that has wild-type chick down (the chipmunk stripes) and feathers out a uniform red like that. Doesn't mean a breed like that doesn't exist, just not one I'm familiar with. It would not be hard to imagine a cross that would produce an outcome like that, for example a Rhodebar chick has stripes, but should also show barring on the feathers, but a cross that avoids the barring could retain the wild-type down.

One of them does have the yellow neck feathers. Their heads are lightening up. They came from Cackle. They "assured" me they are Welsummers. I can try to take better pictures of them if anyone wants.
Thanks everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom