Are these alive/developing?

Chanchilla

Chirping
Sep 22, 2023
Day 5 incubation, the furthest along show veins and heartbeat. But these two look like this.
Unsure if I should dispose of these or let them incubate just in case there's a chance. What do you think?

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_024355213.jpg
    PXL_20230929_024355213.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20230929_024244088.jpg
    PXL_20230929_024244088.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 12
Dispose they have blood rings which means they died 😔
Thought so :( could I get your opinion on these, too? Was going to leave them in the incubator but terrified of an explosion!

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_030259959.jpg
    PXL_20230929_030259959.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230929_030049860.jpg
    PXL_20230929_030049860.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230929_030402289.jpg
    PXL_20230929_030402289.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230929_030157639.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230929_030157639.MP.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230929_030119255.jpg
    PXL_20230929_030119255.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 13
I would personally leave the eggs in the last set of pix for another several days / week.
If there are no cracks/ shell damage, they will not explode!
Any eggs that do have damage need to be sealed w wax, or discarded.
But I’ve had many that I thought were duds- and ended up thriving.

The two in the first photos, I would discard.

The eggs in the second round of photos (per the order that the photos uploaded)- 1, 3, 4, I’d not hold my breath for but I’d give more time in the bator. 2, 5... I’d probably discard after a few more days unless you see ANY signs of veins that I’m not seeing in the photos.

Good luck 🤞🥰

I would personally leave the eggs in the last set of pix for another several days / week.
If there are no cracks/ shell damage, they will not explode!
Any eggs that do have damage need to be sealed w wax, or discarded.
But I’ve had many that I thought were duds- and ended up thriving.

The two in the first photos, I would discard.

The eggs in the second round of photos (per the order that the photos uploaded)- 1, 3, 4, I’d not hold my breath for but I’d give more time in the bator. 2, 5... I’d probably discard after a few more days unless you see ANY signs of veins that I’m not seeing in the photos.

Good luck 🤞🥰
Thank you so much for the thorough response! Knowing that they're probably not ticking stink bombs, I'll keep them in the incubator just in case! Number 4 is a strange one, it's almost like it's cloudy. There are shapes but I can't get a good look inside.
What happens if a yolk breaks inside an egg; can the chick still develop and absorb it? Pretty sure thats what happened with 3.
These are shipped eggs, so kind of expecting all sorts of weirdness.

Did you “rest” them, pointy end down, before setting them?
24hrs is usually the minimum recommended rest period after shipping - but not all breeders/ hatcheries make that as clear as, well, they should.

Knowing that they were shipped- I’d personally be in touch w the person you bought them from to see if you can get replacements -at least- for the infertile eggs.
Although, I don’t know where you got them, or what the “fine print” on the ad may have been 😐

To dig a bit deeper (esp if you might be asking for replacements, or even just to have better success in the future)
What incubator are you using?
Auto turn, or hand turn?
If an auto turner- is it vertical or horizontal?
What is your temp and humidity?
Do you have a separate thermometer and hygrometer to verify what the ‘bator tells you?

There are SO many variables that can lead to a poor hatch rate- some of which are in your control, and some of which are not.

Any additional info you can provide will help us, help you, have more confidence for future hatches :hugs

Did you “rest” them, pointy end down, before setting them?
24hrs is usually the minimum recommended rest period after shipping - but not all breeders/ hatcheries make that as clear as, well, they should.

Knowing that they were shipped- I’d personally be in touch w the person you bought them from to see if you can get replacements -at least- for the infertile eggs.
Although, I don’t know where you got them, or what the “fine print” on the ad may have been 😐

To dig a bit deeper (esp if you might be asking for replacements, or even just to have better success in the future)
What incubator are you using?
Auto turn, or hand turn?
If an auto turner- is it vertical or horizontal?
What is your temp and humidity?
Do you have a separate thermometer and hygrometer to verify what the ‘bator tells you?

There are SO many variables that can lead to a poor hatch rate- some of which are in your control, and some of which are not.

Any additional info you can provide will help us, help you, have more confidence for future hatches :hugs
Hi! Unfortunately, fine print clearly stated that there would be no refunds or replacements. I'm fine with that, so long as the shipments come well-wrapped (and they did!)

So I actually did a good bit of research before starting. I had two sets of shipped eggs from different hatchery's. Set One I rested for 24 hours, and Set Two I rested for 48 hours.
I'm using two incubators; one is a "smart incubator" from Amazon, and the other is the Manna Pro Nurture Right incubator from Tractor Supply. Both have auto turns, but I've turned both off because I've kept the eggs vertical in cartons.
After researching, I decided to have one set be a 'dry hatch' and the other normal. Both temps are set to 100 degrees.
Set one is a "dry hatch" which means I keep the humidity 25-35%, which for my humid location, simply means that I don't add water and it stays a steady 32-36%. I will adjust the humidity to 65% on lockdown.
The other has no humidity reader, but I have a mini hygrometer and keep it at 50% until lockdown.
For set one, I didn't turn the eggs for the first 3 days (following advice that this way, there's a better chance that the air cells will fully reattach themselves.) After that wait, I started turning them every few hours, about 6 times per day.
Set two I began turning right away, and I turn them both at the same time, about 6 times per day.
I have a whole spreadsheet but I'm old school and keep it on paper lol. Maybe I'll write it up in a digital spreadsheet to compare, if anyone's interested. I plan on doing more tests, making adjustments based on what works and what others recommend!

Back
Top Bottom