Are these all ISA browns?

Sandracula

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2023
I just got my first set of 10 chicks after years of trying to convince my partner and I’m soooo excited. I ordered a mix from Hoover’s Hatchery that was supposed to be half ISA browns and half assorted colored egg layers. I have always wanted a variety of egg colors and that was my big priority when choosing the assortment I chose. I am so happy the chicks all arrived healthy and are doing well after 4 days, but I paid twice as much for an assortment and am not sure I got what I ordered. I know it’s hard to tell at this age but can anyone tell me if they see anything that could be a colored egg layer? I’m sorry I’m a terrible photographer. This is what the assortment said: “Breeds that may be included in this assortment are Americana, Cuckoo Marans, French Black Copper Marans, Midnight Majesty Marans, Prairie Bluebell Eggers, Olive Eggers, Sapphire Olive Eggers or Starlight Green Eggers.”

Attachments

• DEC3F3BD-24E5-48A7-A303-A0F01A68F8E0.jpeg
    DEC3F3BD-24E5-48A7-A303-A0F01A68F8E0.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 62
  • 2FFE52CD-9D8E-4237-9997-27C0BF1741A9.jpeg
    2FFE52CD-9D8E-4237-9997-27C0BF1741A9.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 06B0D97E-7EEC-4063-8209-4B31315B334B.jpeg
    06B0D97E-7EEC-4063-8209-4B31315B334B.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 23
Sorry you didn't get the colored eggers you planned. But it's pretty hard to argue with one large to extra large dark brown egg per day. You can always sell them as POL pullets to make space for colored eggers, people will probably pay great prices first thing this coming spring. Thanks for the update, I was hoping for you.
Aww thank you. I ended up giving four of the ISAs my mom to start her own flock. I ordered four started pullets - a spitzhauben for white eggs and for looks, an Araucana for blue eggs, and a welsummer and Wyandotte because they are cute. Guess which two of the “pullets” ended up being roos? The spitz and auracana 🤦‍♀️. I had to give the boys away because I can’t have roosters here. So my egg basket is a rainbow of browns lol. But I just ordered a Cream Legbar, Olive Egger, Easter Egger, and Buff Orpington (the buff was a surprise hatchery choice but I’m excited). Here are my new and hopefully last babies for a long time (and hopefully all girls this time)

Attachments

• IMG_8552.jpeg
    IMG_8552.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8558.jpeg
    IMG_8558.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8554.jpeg
    IMG_8554.jpeg
    771.3 KB · Views: 6
Update in case anyone ever finds this thread when searching. I held out hope that some may be SGE but all 10 hens lay brown eggs and appear to be ISA browns.

Last edited:
Update in case anyone ever finds this thread when searching. I held out hope that some may be SGE but all 10 hens lay brown eggs and appear to be ISA browns.
Sorry you didn't get the colored eggers you planned. But it's pretty hard to argue with one large to extra large dark brown egg per day. You can always sell them as POL pullets to make space for colored eggers, people will probably pay great prices first thing this coming spring. Thanks for the update, I was hoping for you.

Aww thank you. I ended up giving four of the ISAs my mom to start her own flock. I ordered four started pullets - a spitzhauben for white eggs and for looks, an Araucana for blue eggs, and a welsummer and Wyandotte because they are cute. Guess which two of the “pullets” ended up being roos? The spitz and auracana 🤦‍♀️. I had to give the boys away because I can’t have roosters here. So my egg basket is a rainbow of browns lol. But I just ordered a Cream Legbar, Olive Egger, Easter Egger, and Buff Orpington (the buff was a surprise hatchery choice but I’m excited). Here are my new and hopefully last babies for a long time (and hopefully all girls this time)
All looking like pullets to me. Cute!!!

Those…all look pretty similar to me. Can immediately rule out all the marans. They would look like little penguins or black chicks. Americana (easter eggers) usually look like little chipmunks - fat cheeks, often have a dark stripe down their back and eyeliner stripes. Olive eggers and the others I think are more of a grab bag. But the likelihood they would send you 5 that HAPPEN to look like isa browns is extremely low.

I would call and get a refund on half the chicks. 😢

2x ... They all look similar, I'd call and question the shipment although doubt they'll do anything as the chicks are "young" and hard to tell at this age. You could to to their website to see the possibilities.

https://hoovershatchery.com/assortedcoloredegglayers.html
https://hoovershatchery.com/colored-eggs.html
https://hoovershatchery.com/brown-egg-layers.html

Do any have feathers on their legs/feet? Marans would except for the Cuckoo who are clean legged/feet.
AM/EE are usually Chimpmunk in color marking with the eyeliner, some having puffy checks ... Hoover has 2 varieties.
Prairie Bluebells can be yellow, black or brown, some with markings
Olive Eggers usually got the dark brown chipmunk stripe, over yellow
Sapphire Olive usually dark top over yellow
Starlite Green is possible
Nope no feathers on the feet. I didn’t call the hatchery yet because I agree that they will probably say they are too young to tell but it’s worth a shot. I will just need to chill out and see if they start looking any different as they grow. I was considering getting some Easter Eggers or similar and selling some of the ISA browns later on, but I know I’m getting ahead of myself as a first timer lol

Nope no feathers on the feet. I didn’t call the hatchery yet because I agree that they will probably say they are too young to tell but it’s worth a shot. I will just need to chill out and see if they start looking any different as they grow. I was considering getting some Easter Eggers or similar and selling some of the ISA browns later on, but I know I’m getting ahead of myself as a first timer lol
I would go ahead and call or better email so that it’s “on the record” that you are 99% sure they made an error. They may have a deadline for any complaints

Back
Top Bottom