Are these chicks ok at 29°F with no heat?

What did you end up doing and how did they fair?!
I just did a single hot water bottle and temps are 36° this morning. Upon morning check, all 6 made it huddled together here in KY! Ready for full time spring!
Well, I caved and turned the heat lamp on. I'm not sure they needed it. 9 of them were on the perch and two were huddled on top of a piece of wood that I have their waterer on. I think the perch only holds the 9. 🤭
I have the heat lamp set high enough so that under it is about 50 right now. They don't stay under of course. They are all over their brooder area. But, as soon as I turned it on, sleep time was over. I don't know how long that lasted. But, I'm sure there were shenanigans. When I woke up our temps read 26°, so a little cooler than it should have been.

Well, I caved and turned the heat lamp on. I'm not sure they needed it. 9 of them were on the perch and two were huddled on top of a piece of wood that I have their waterer on. I think the perch only holds the 9. 🤭
I have the heat lamp set high enough so that under it is about 50 right now. They don't stay under of course. They are all over their brooder area. But, as soon as I turned it on, sleep time was over. I don't know how long that lasted. But, I'm sure there were shenanigans. When I woke up our temps read 26°, so a little cooler than it should have been.
Now you have a better idea of what to do next time something similar to this happens, call it an experiment with your chickens.
This is how we get the knowledge necessary to properly care for our fowl.

Now you have a better idea of what to do next time something similar to this happens, call it an experiment with your chickens.
This is how we get the knowledge necessary to properly care for our fowl.
I've had other broods, but this is the first for this time of the year. I think my lesson is to get chicks later in the year - it alleviates a lot of worry. But, thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom