are these coops any good?

Not predator proof any of them! ): learnt the hard way

If I build a 6x8 coop, can I get away with a smaller run space? Or no? Im just nervous about taking up too much space, not sure why

You need 4 square feet in the coop, 10 square feet in the run, 1 linear foot of roost, and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per standard-sized bird.

Since lumber comes in 4-foot increments it's a waste of materials to build a 6-foot dimension because you'll have to buy the 8-foot pieces and cut every one. :)

For space, bigger is always better. Don't be afraid to take up space. I realized that when I lived in the burbs. We had a big yard compared to most, and all my friends in the city were jealous. But a lot of that space was just unused lawn. It was nice to look at, but it was just kind of empty. My mom's yard was a third the size of my yard. We ended up living with her for a few months after we sold our house and bought another. My chickens came with. Her yard had a swimming pool, 3 outdoor sheds, a trampoline, raised garden beds, 2 picnic tables, and fruit and nut trees. And it didn't feel cluttered at all. It's about how you design and use your space. I feel guilty now that I didn't utilize my big suburban yard better for my family (including the chickens), and I'm planning better and more deliberately now that I have 3 acres to work with.

For space, bigger is always better. Don't be afraid to take up space. I realized that when I lived in the burbs. We had a big yard compared to most, and all my friends in the city were jealous. But a lot of that space was just unused lawn. It was nice to look at, but it was just kind of empty. My mom's yard was a third the size of my yard. We ended up living with her for a few months after we sold our house and bought another. My chickens came with. Her yard had a swimming pool, 3 outdoor sheds, a trampoline, raised garden beds, 2 picnic tables, and fruit and nut trees. And it didn't feel cluttered at all. It's about how you design and use your space. I feel guilty now that I didn't utilize my big suburban yard better for my family (including the chickens), and I'm planning better and more deliberately now that I have 3 acres to work with.
Well, Trying to build a 6x8 or 6x6 depending on the budget ($1000 or less), so I'm gonna look through the gallery

I'd say make a list of the required materials, and go to HomeDepot/Lowe's type store and price it out. Material prices can vary greatly by location. We just bought 2x4's and paid $6 a piece.
And I just looked at Lowes yesterday and they are $5 something here. So would also be in the $6 range after tax. The price of EVERYThING is super high right now. (And I really doubt it will ever go down!)

Back
Top Bottom