are these coops any good?

Pics
Actually, I'm hoping to build a 4x8 chicken coop! Do you know what plans you used? Also is to safe to free range with no fence?
Oh! Lemme see what I can find! Gimme a few minutes...

Free ranging is a gamble. I live in the woods. I have all kinds of predators: coyote, foxes, hawks, raccoons, bobcat, owls, skunks, eagles, possum, and the occasional mountain lion and bear. And I am one of those crazy chicken ladies who can't fathom the idea of losing one of her chickens. My run is a roofed dog kennel. But they have a fenced chicken yard (electric fence), and I let them on our property for a few closely supervised hours every day. My rooster does a good job alerting us to threats, but I watch closely. I am a veritable livestock guardian human. I don't mess around.

But free ranging is good for the chickens in a lot of ways - good diet, lots of exercise, living like a chicken should. It's a personal choice, and everyone will tell you something different if you ask their opinion. I just can't bring myself to do it. I feel responsible for them.

Yeah, I found the Diy Palace Coop and it's $2000. Just asking, are Carolina coops quality?
Is that a company? I've never heard of them. There are hundreds of coops in that section that cost much less, depending where you source your materials, you can be under $300 but if you have the budget, go right ahead.
All you need is 4 walls, a way for you to get in, a way for them to get in, ( if its the same way, ok) ventilation, weather proof and predator proof.
I use 2x2 for framing and exterior siding for walls, or plywood with heavy duty weather sealant. Check craigslist, thrift stored, habit for humanity Restores for material.

Back
Top Bottom