are these coops any good?

I have found many I've liked, but none had plans :c
Most people around here wing it. The base of almost all the coops is a box. You can build a box. if the most complicated coops, ate a box with extras. You make the frame, and screw on the side panels. Decide if the room peaks on the side or down the center. there are a lot of beautiful coops, but those cost $$$$ and require skills/tools most of us don't have, you can make a basic coop attractive. You've done your research , you know how much roost space, nest boxes and square feet you need, you know what you need. It may not be drop dead gorgeous but it will keep you girls safe. Maybe look into prefab sheds you convert.

Ok for buffs, do 12 inches by 12-inch nesting boxes work, or should I go 16''x16"
I'm jumping in here - pardon my intrusion!

12x12 is fine for Buff Orps. Even my Brahma and Cochin do fine in 12x12.

Edited to add that I have larger boxes now, and they like those even better. I think mine are 15x15ish.

I built my own coop. It wasn't all that hard. I Googled chicken coop plans and found one that was pretty simple. Then I made it bigger. I made it out of recycled materials. I spent ~ $250 total. The most expensive parts were the roof panels and the hardware cloth. Mine was 4x8 walk-in. I moved, though, and now my flock is in a converted 8x10 shed.

But if I can do it, I think anyone can. I mean that. I am not very handy. But what I lack in skill, I make up for with bull-headed determination, by golly!

The run... that was another matter. An expensive matter...

If I build a 6x8 coop, can I get away with a smaller run space? Or no? Im just nervous about taking up too much space, not sure why

You need 4 square feet in the coop, 10 square feet in the run, 1 linear foot of roost, and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per standard-sized bird.

Since lumber comes in 4-foot increments it's a waste of materials to build a 6-foot dimension because you'll have to buy the 8-foot pieces and cut every one. :)

For space, bigger is always better. Don't be afraid to take up space. I realized that when I lived in the burbs. We had a big yard compared to most, and all my friends in the city were jealous. But a lot of that space was just unused lawn. It was nice to look at, but it was just kind of empty. My mom's yard was a third the size of my yard. We ended up living with her for a few months after we sold our house and bought another. My chickens came with. Her yard had a swimming pool, 3 outdoor sheds, a trampoline, raised garden beds, 2 picnic tables, and fruit and nut trees. And it didn't feel cluttered at all. It's about how you design and use your space. I feel guilty now that I didn't utilize my big suburban yard better for my family (including the chickens), and I'm planning better and more deliberately now that I have 3 acres to work with.
Well, Trying to build a 6x8 or 6x6 depending on the budget ($1000 or less), so I'm gonna look through the gallery

I'd say make a list of the required materials, and go to HomeDepot/Lowe's type store and price it out. Material prices can vary greatly by location. We just bought 2x4's and paid $6 a piece.
And I just looked at Lowes yesterday and they are $5 something here. So would also be in the $6 range after tax. The price of EVERYThING is super high right now. (And I really doubt it will ever go down!)

How do I see the price? :confused:
Give us a link.

I might use Linoulium or rubber mats to pull out and hose down, not hose down the coop.
Best to keep coop dry at all times.
I have never found the need to use a liquid 'cleaner' in 7 years.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

First is a prefab.
Second has chicken wire instead of HC and looks very small.
Third is also a prefab.

Back
Top Bottom