Looking at this coop šŸ“šŸ 

Iā€™m a new chick mom of 6, they hatched 7/25, they are 1.5 weeks old. I purchased an $800 on sale coop from the feed store that I bought it from, but after researching it, it didnā€™t get very All. Mainly saying that it would probably fall apart in a year and that it wouldnā€™t keep predators out. Thankfully they let me return it. Iā€™m looking at this one for the most part. It got pretty good reviews and I am going to reinforce everything with hardware cloth And I may add a solar electric fence around the perimeter to keep out predators around here such as fox, skunks, gophers, raccoons and even though I havenā€™t seen any of my ring camera, there are bears and mountain lions in the near vicinity.
Iā€™m placing this coop 20ā€™ away from my kitchen window and have a ring camera with motion sensors and alerts.
The reviews on this one are way better than the $862 coop. If I got this one I would have $300 to get the hardware cloth, solar electric fence orā€¦a larger run to go around the whole coop portion with secured predator edging and put the run from this coop in a close location but shaded and grassier terrain for a change and secure the edges of that as well. I kind of the last one. Ideas, comments and suggestions welcome.
ā€¢The coop in the box I returned.
ā€¢The yard picture shows the area for the coop. The other area if I use the coops run separately is out of view, but to the right. Plushier grass, dandelions and shade.
ā€¢This isnā€™t the one I got, but was thinking I could get something to put the coop inside of and secure the perimeter.
ā€¢The other idea is a DIY resin shed converted to a coop. The only problem there is finding a used one at a reasonable price. They are expensive new. I have a post on Next Door.
ā€¢Me and my dogs enjoying the Sun and reading about this new adventure.

https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/tucker-murphy-pet-walk-in-chicken-coop-with-chicken-w007788267.html
View attachment 3600285View attachment 3600286View attachment 3600287View attachment 3600288View attachment 3600289
Reading about chickens & coops can be both fun and frustrating. I like your approach tho, nothing better than a dog, sunshine and a cool drink šŸ˜„. Injecting my opinion here from experience , most of those coops in a box are a waste of good cash and whoever decided that 6 hens would live comfortably in one, mustn't own chickensšŸ˜‹. We converted a 6x4 shed (500$) for the hen house and built an attached enclosed run on both sides(approx 600$) after taking back a 900$ 'cutsie coop'. Oh sure, the cost was more than 900$ but it's going to survive the seasons and not blow away. Our 6 hens are living the high life!
Others have given advice to consideršŸ‘.

Attachments

• IMG_20230810_142020_993.jpg
    IMG_20230810_142020_993.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 13
Reading about chickens & coops can be both fun and frustrating. I like your approach tho, nothing better than a dog, sunshine and a cool drink šŸ˜„. Injecting my opinion here from experience , most of those coops in a box are a waste of good cash and whoever decided that 6 hens would live comfortably in one, mustn't own chickensšŸ˜‹. We converted a 6x4 shed (500$) for the hen house and built an attached enclosed run on both sides(approx 600$) after taking back a 900$ 'cutsie coop'. Oh sure, the cost was more than 900$ but it's going to survive the seasons and not blow away. Our 6 hens are living the high life!
Others have given advice to consideršŸ‘.
Love your windmill. I want one...

Our coop that replaced the Pubelo Grande was built by a Puget Sound builder called "The Original Chicken Man" and he builds the coops in like, pieces and then delivers and assembles them on site. We have the ability and tools to build ourself, but definitely don't have the time. It was pretty spendy (and this was like 2020 prices, I would shudder to see how much now with wood costs), but it has definitely survived some extreme weather, a tree falling on the run, and the neighbors dog trying to break in.

It's nice to have the prefab as a broody hen hut, though! And jail šŸ˜‰ Screenshot_20230810_154518_Gallery.jpg

I have very limited skills, a cordless drill, and determination.

My hoop coop:
View attachment 3605443
That's awesome! I love the idea of a good hoop coop. It's likely the best answer to OP's issue, I just think that some people aren't willing/able to build their own structure (no matter how simple it might seem). Perhaps OP is more than capable of pulling it off. It would definitely help with the budget issue if they could!

That's awesome! I love the idea of a good hoop coop. It's likely the best answer to OP's issue, I just think that some people aren't willing/able to build their own structure (no matter how simple it might seem). Perhaps OP is more than capable of pulling it off. It would definitely help with the budget issue if they could!
The hoop coop filled my needs:
  • Lower build cost
  • Lesser skill level
  • More ventilation
If you look closely you can see that I am definitely not a carpenter. However, everything works. It may not be professionally built, but it's functional.

I really like the coop I purchased on OverEZChickencoop.com. Comes partially built and you put together based on simple directions They have different size coops for different numbers you have. Plenty of options.

I bought a large prefab walk-in coop, 5x8, from Tractor Supply after adding 14 standard pullets and 2 cockerels to my flock of rescued bantams. I wanted to keep them separated being they were on chick feed for another 2 1/2 months. We needed help assembling the walk in unit. We built an enclosure around the coop like my other one had so they had some freedom. After about 6-8 months the coop was showing signs of wear so some repairs were made ahead of winter. In the spring, I had to do some major repair work on it. The thin rolled roofing was peeling up allowing water to seep under to the wood, the bottom boards that were ground contact were rotting. After making the repairs and adding a wooden floor. I then removed the nesting boxes after seeing one was in rough condition and decided to make it my juvenile coop. I've been using the coop since June 2017, it's been repaired a few times, modified and I'm getting ready to make it over again. The roof started leaking again so we tarped it for now and we're putting a metal roof on it this time.

Prefab coop newly assembled
20170425_200819.jpg

Coop after a few years of repairs and modifications.
20190616_182902.jpg

We had to raise it on blocks after heavy rains flooded it - added floor too.

Depending on your average climate really depends on how long these can last. I'm in the mountains of WV, we get ample snow, rain plus are surrounded by woods so we don't get a lot of sun on the property. The coops are unfortunately at the bottom of the hill with our house at the top - no choice where to put coops.

Hope you don't get onto chicken math like many of us have. I started with 18 rescues, lost 2/3 from the neglect they suffered, added 16 more 18 months later and have had as many as 100 chickens, ducks and guineas. Now I have 40 hens, 1 rooster in one pen. 21 ducks, 2 saved broiler hens, 2 older hens and 2 male guineas in a second pen, the coop pictured is where most of them stay plus they get free ranged too. A 3rd pen - the newly added juvenile coop has 9 pullets, 1 cockerel and 4 ducklings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom