Looking at this coop šŸ“šŸ 

Firsttimechickmom2

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2023
Mendocino Coast
Iā€™m a new chick mom of 6, they hatched 7/25, they are 1.5 weeks old. I purchased an $800 on sale coop from the feed store that I bought it from, but after researching it, it didnā€™t get very All. Mainly saying that it would probably fall apart in a year and that it wouldnā€™t keep predators out. Thankfully they let me return it. Iā€™m looking at this one for the most part. It got pretty good reviews and I am going to reinforce everything with hardware cloth And I may add a solar electric fence around the perimeter to keep out predators around here such as fox, skunks, gophers, raccoons and even though I havenā€™t seen any of my ring camera, there are bears and mountain lions in the near vicinity.
Iā€™m placing this coop 20ā€™ away from my kitchen window and have a ring camera with motion sensors and alerts.
The reviews on this one are way better than the $862 coop. If I got this one I would have $300 to get the hardware cloth, solar electric fence orā€¦a larger run to go around the whole coop portion with secured predator edging and put the run from this coop in a close location but shaded and grassier terrain for a change and secure the edges of that as well. I kind of the last one. Ideas, comments and suggestions welcome.
ā€¢The coop in the box I returned.
ā€¢The yard picture shows the area for the coop. The other area if I use the coops run separately is out of view, but to the right. Plushier grass, dandelions and shade.
ā€¢This isnā€™t the one I got, but was thinking I could get something to put the coop inside of and secure the perimeter.
ā€¢The other idea is a DIY resin shed converted to a coop. The only problem there is finding a used one at a reasonable price. They are expensive new. I have a post on Next Door.
ā€¢Me and my dogs enjoying the Sun and reading about this new adventure.

https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/tucker-murphy-pet-walk-in-chicken-coop-with-chicken-w007788267.html
IMG_5934.jpeg
IMG_5888.jpeg
IMG_6078.jpeg
IMG_6087.jpeg
IMG_6100.jpeg

The coop on the Wayfair site only has 17.5 sq. ft. of coop space, which is only enough for 4 hens as you need at least 4 sq ft of coop space per bird. Unfortunately getting a secure setup for happy chickens can be an expensive initial investment. There are ways to do things inexpensively, but be sure you donā€™t scrimp now only to have behavior problems or loose birds to predators later on.

Space... think a lot about space. More is better.
Mine have more than the minimums and I think it helps a lot with their social behavior and the effort of doing chores.

Ventilation. Especially since you're in Cali, you should read @3KillerBs hot climate and ventilation articles.

I like the idea of converting a shed for first time builders. It gives you a good amount of space, is sturdy, hopefully done quick. Ventilating it adequately without undermining the structure or weather resistance will take some careful planning. There was a good article with a Rubbermaid shed around here somewhere...

You can get a much larger, brand new resin shed for just a bit more than you were already willing to pay for a teeny, very poopy prefab coop (the sheds are about $1000+, but you were going to spend $900 anyway...). Like SourRoses mentioned, think about space and ventilation. The shed route is going to give you way more space than those prefabs and you can cut ventilation into the shed and cover with hardware cloth (look at the articles here on BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-resin-plastic-coop-construction-thread.1198632/ and https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/ ). Add some roost bars, and a few nest boxes (like in the pic you posted), and you're set!

TSC Has an 8x5 resin shed for $1099 (it has a window in it)

They also have a windowless one of the same size for $899

Screenshot_20230805_152637_Chrome.jpg

Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of chickens.

Here's some basic info for you:

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

In a hot climate consider an Open Air style coop:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-positive-local-action-coop.72804/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/california-living.68130/

If you want to work with a plastic shed, here's a really excellent conversion that has a way to deal with the ventilation problem: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/

Dog kennels with some chicken wire or hardware cloth make very efficient and easy runs. If it's built to hold in at 80 pound lab it. will keep predators out. I add the smaller wire around the bottom to keep chicks from getting out. I recently just built a hoop coop and I am really liking it. In all honesty almost anything you buy prefab it is going to be junk.

What's the climate like year round? I think you mentioned it stays above freezing though I might be thinking someone else... You might not need an actual enclosed coop if it stays moderate/warm throughout the year. Something like the run kit you posted could be modified into an open air coop/run combo (needs hardware cloth added throughout, plus some roosts and maybe a solid wall or two in the roost area facing into direction of predominant winds). Or hoop coops are always a budget friendly option if you're willing to do the work on building it.

The coop on the Wayfair site only has 17.5 sq. ft. of coop space, which is only enough for 4 hens as you need at least 4 sq ft of coop space per bird. Unfortunately getting a secure setup for happy chickens can be an expensive initial investment. There are ways to do things inexpensively, but be sure you donā€™t scrimp now only to have behavior problems or loose birds to predators later on.
Why do they say 56sq. Ft if thatā€™s outdoor space?. Itā€™s so confusing when this is all new and Iā€™m trying to wrap my head around it šŸ˜… It also said for 14 chickens, so I thought that would be better if they tend to exaggerate.. So bottom line thank you ever for your replies, I really appreciate it since Iā€™m trying to do it right. Thereā€™s too many choices and types and ways of doing things , but Iā€™m not complaining, Iā€™m just muddling through it all to figure it out. I have a $800 budget, I hope that will take care of a coop and securing it.
Thanks again!
SusanšŸ„šŸ“šŸ™ŒšŸ¼

Why do they say 56sq. Ft if thatā€™s outdoor space?. Itā€™s so confusing when this is all new and Iā€™m trying to wrap my head around it šŸ˜… It also said for 14 chickens, so I thought that would be better if they tend to exaggerate.. So bottom line thank you ever for your replies, I really appreciate it since Iā€™m trying to do it right. Thereā€™s too many choices and types and ways of doing things , but Iā€™m not complaining, Iā€™m just muddling through it all to figure it out. I have a $800 budget, I hope that will take care of a coop and securing it.
Thanks again!
SusanšŸ„šŸ“šŸ™ŒšŸ¼
All of these little prefab coops in a box lie about how many birds they can hold.
False advertising.

Back
Top Bottom