are these coops any good?

I think I got mine online from Home Depot.

It's actually 4x6. I thought it was 4x7. But it was fine for my 7 chickens (I have 9 now). I should also mention that 2 of those are bantam. My chickens really only use it to sleep, so I can go a little small. My climate allows for it (hot summers, mild winters). My chickens are out in the run all day long no matter the season. This brand has larger sheds, too, for around $500. I liked the ones below it, but I needed small at the time.

I added ventilation and replaced the window with hardware cloth. 2x4 along its length was fine for a roost. I had 2 nest boxes on the inside, actually. But it would have been better if I'd added them on the outside or just left them in the covered run. I also installed an auto door. This was stupid easy to cut. It's very light, so you might need to anchor it. I had it up next to the house so it was sheltered from winds.
Was it hotter than hell inside in the summer?

I think I got mine online from Home Depot.

It's actually 4x6. I thought it was 4x7. But it was fine for my 7 chickens (I have 9 now). I should also mention that 2 of those are bantam. My chickens really only use it to sleep, so I can go a little small. My climate allows for it (hot summers, mild winters). My chickens are out in the run all day long no matter the season. This brand has larger sheds, too, for around $500. I liked the ones below it, but I needed small at the time.

I added ventilation and replaced the window with hardware cloth. 2x4 along its length was fine for a roost. I had 2 nest boxes on the inside, actually. But it would have been better if I'd added them on the outside or just left them in the covered run. I also installed an auto door. This was stupid easy to cut. It's very light, so you might need to anchor it. I had it up next to the house so it was sheltered from winds.

View attachment 2490849
How do I see the price? :confused:
1610748501996.png

How do I see the price? :confused:
Give us a link.

I might use Linoulium or rubber mats to pull out and hose down, not hose down the coop.
Best to keep coop dry at all times.
I have never found the need to use a liquid 'cleaner' in 7 years.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Not sure about the second one, but I can advocate that the first one isn't great - I know because I had that exact one when I first started keeping chickens...let's just say it fell apart within a few months. And the third one looks pretty similar to the first one, so I wouldn't really recommend it. Good luck with finding the right coop! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom