Are These Eggs Fertile or Infertile?

TheLukeMeister

Songster
May 18, 2015
My silkie chicken laid these eggs (yes at the same time) earlier this morning and I can't tell if they are fertile. I do have a rooster but he's young and so is the hen.

Anyone have any idea?

They are about 5 1/2 months old and have been laying for about 1 1/2 weeks.

I have never had much luck trying to determine if fresh eggs are fertile or not. I've always incubated some eggs for several days and then candled them to see if an embryo was forming. My silkies are sexually mature at six months; able to produce fertile eggs. My serama mature much faster, roosters able to fertilize eggs at three months. However, I've found that the embryos do not live long enough to hatch until the parent stock is a few months older. In short, the eggs may be fertile, but the birds not mature enough for their eggs to hatch.

I have never had much luck trying to determine if fresh eggs are fertile or not. I've always incubated some eggs for several days and then candled them to see if an embryo was forming. My silkies are sexually mature at six months; able to produce fertile eggs. My serama mature much faster, roosters able to fertilize eggs at three months. However, I've found that the embryos do not live long enough to hatch until the parent stock is a few months older. In short, the eggs may be fertile, but the birds not mature enough for their eggs to hatch.
Alright. So at about 9 months I can try to hatch them?

And back to the question, does anyone know if they are fertile or infertile?

Last edited:
I think they are fertile. The "bullseye" folks look for is that white spot. As the egg is a little older will form a clear ring making the classic bullseye. These are day old eggs right? Crack one that's 3-5 days and I bet you see it.

Quote:
I think they are fertile. The "bullseye" folks look for is that white spot. As the egg is a little older will form a clear ring making the classic bullseye. These are day old eggs right? Crack one that's 3-5 days and I bet you see it.
Ah, okay. Yeah I cracked them open a couple hours after they were laid cause I got hungry
droolin.gif
XD Okay I will!

Back
Top Bottom