annie333

Chirping
May 11, 2015
I ordered Narragansett eggs to increase my flock. I have gathered a few of my own as well. The ordered ones arrived and look like two different types some that look like mine some which do not. I know there are variations in chicken eggs within a breed, but somehow thought the heritage turkey eggs would look similar according to breed.

My Narry eggs are pale cream with brown speckles resembling freckles. The ones in question are more of a pinkish cream with pale purplish speckles that are larger, more like age spots than freckles. Also these questionable eggs are noticeably larger in size than mine, and the shipped eggs that resemble mine.

In the photo mine are the top two. The others are the shipped eggs, as you can see, a few look right, but the majority are different.

So, for those who know, do turkey eggs vary, could these still be narragansett?
Or, do I need to complain to the seller?
IMG_20180502_164635.jpg

I ordered Narragansett eggs to increase my flock. I have gathered a few of my own as well. The ordered ones arrived and look like two different types some that look like mine some which do not. I know there are variations in chicken eggs within a breed, but somehow thought the heritage turkey eggs would look similar according to breed.

My Narry eggs are pale cream with brown speckles resembling freckles. The ones in question are more of a pinkish cream with pale purplish speckles that are larger, more like age spots than freckles. Also these questionable eggs are noticeably larger in size than mine, and the shipped eggs that resemble mine.

In the photo mine are the top two. The others are the shipped eggs, as you can see, a few look right, but the majority are different.

So, for those who know, do turkey eggs vary, could these still be narragansett?
Or, do I need to complain to the seller? View attachment 1372589
You cannot tell which variety of turkey laid which egg by looking at the egg. A person who pays close attention to their turkeys can get to the point that they can say which turkey laid which specific egg but it also often includes the specifics of what nest the egg was laid in.

I have for years raised Blue Slates and the hens all laid different sized eggs with the only constant being that the hen that laid the giant eggs always laid those big eggs and the hens that laid smaller eggs always laid the smaller eggs. There were also variations in the color and patterns on the eggs but all the eggs came from the same variety of turkey.

FYI, there is only one breed (Turkey) but many different varieties.

You cannot tell which variety of turkey laid which egg by looking at the egg. A person who pays close attention to their turkeys can get to the point that they can say which turkey laid which specific egg but it also often includes the specifics of what nest the egg was laid in.

I have for years raised Blue Slates and the hens all laid different sized eggs with the only constant being that the hen that laid the giant eggs always laid those big eggs and the hens that laid smaller eggs always laid the smaller eggs. There were also variations in the color and patterns on the eggs but all the eggs came from the same variety of turkey.

FYI, there is only one breed (Turkey) but many different varieties.

Thank you! I feel better now.

Thank you! I feel better now.
Well I felt better until they started hatching, mine and another hatcheries' are looking like what I've seen in the past with some shading differences. But the first of these questionable eggs is yellow, no markings. I'm thinking bourbon. What are your thoughts did I get a bait and switch on these eggs, or will I still have to wait and see? My Tom is silver, but I am 99% sure this one hatched from a shipped egg. At what age would the bourbon coloring be most evident?

Attachments

• IMG_20180602_083603.jpg
    IMG_20180602_083603.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 11
Well I felt better until they started hatching, mine and another hatcheries' are looking like what I've seen in the past with some shading differences. But the first of these questionable eggs is yellow, no markings. I'm thinking bourbon. What are your thoughts did I get a bait and switch on these eggs, or will I still have to wait and see? My Tom is silver, but I am 99% sure this one hatched from a shipped egg. At what age would the bourbon coloring be most evident?
That one is definitely not a pure Narragansett but also does not look like a Bourbon Red to me. Perhaps it could be a Golden Narragansett.

That one is definitely not a pure Narragansett but also does not look like a Bourbon Red to me. Perhaps it could be a Golden Narragansett.
I've heard of Silver mutation. What is golden? The others are hatching paler than mine, but still with mottling and striping that I would consider Narry markings.

I've heard of Silver mutation. What is golden? The others are hatching paler than mine, but still with mottling and striping that I would consider Narry markings.
Click on the link I provided and it will take you to the Golden Narragansett page on Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. The difference between a Narragansett and a Golden Narragansett is the presence of one red color gene. If a Narragansett tom is bred to a Bourbon Red hen, the offspring will be Golden Narragansett hens and Red Bronze toms.

Back
Top Bottom