TheSmallestEgg

Songster
Mar 22, 2018
Oswego, New York
Hello! Today’s featured question from a first time chicken Mom:

Are these embryos dead?
3D697248-05CC-4AFB-BF31-751377ECD728.jpeg

1027F074-1100-487C-B7C0-8612A63058D3.jpeg

These are two different eggs. Top one looks like a perfectly round yolk now, no blood vessels attached. Bottom has that weird red jagged line around the edge. Neither have movement.

Are these two friends gone? Should I take them out of the incubator so that they don’t spread bacteria to my other eggs?

:frow I'm researching...I don't have an answer for you, for that I am sorry.

May I ask how long these have been incubating for?
What day they are on?
What makes you think "bacteria" may be spread?

Last edited:
Number one yes take it out . What day is it on? The second egg is clearly developing looks like a three or four day eggs to me .I don't see any veins though. If you others are further along, and showing good development and veins and embryo movement. Then I would take out both . That is of course they were all set at the same time . No sense risking contaminating the other eggs . should the go bad .

:frowOne more question.
What is this magical candle thing you are using called?
Hello hello!
Let me see if I can answer all your questions, and my apologies for not giving all the background info.

My eggs are on day 12! I have no clue if bacteria will spread or not. I just figured if they are done developing, cooking dead embryos is eventually bound to end unpleasantly, and I wouldn’t want that to effect my other eggs, that seem to all be doing awesome.
Lastly! The candling tool I’m using is a bright LED light that is built into the top of my incubator, but to assist my vision I cut out a smaller hole in a dark sheet of paper and covered the light, this directs it all directly into the egg and doesn’t shine too much in my eyes.

Number one yes take it out . What day is it on? The second egg is clearly developing looks like a three or four day eggs to me .I don't see any veins though. If you others are further along, and showing good development and veins and embryo movement. Then I would take out both . That is of course they were all set at the same time . No sense risking contaminating the other eggs . should the go bad .
They’re both on day 12!!!! Which is why I figured I’d ask. They look totally different today then they looked yesterday. And by different I mean not good.

Hello hello!
Let me see if I can answer all your questions, and my apologies for not giving all the background info.

My eggs are on day 12! I have no clue if bacteria will spread or not. I just figured if they are done developing, cooking dead embryos is eventually bound to end unpleasantly, and I wouldn’t want that to effect my other eggs, that seem to all be doing awesome.
Lastly! The candling tool I’m using is a bright LED light that is built into the top of my incubator, but to assist my vision I cut out a smaller hole in a dark sheet of paper and covered the light, this directs it all directly into the egg and doesn’t shine too much in my eyes.
:oops: Did you build this bator/light contraption?

They’re both on day 12!!!! Which is why I figured I’d ask. They look totally different today then they looked yesterday. And by different I mean not good.
Don't pay much attention to me, I do not know.
I am wondering if it would hurt to just leave them a day or two or three longer to MAKE sure?

Don't pay much attention to me, I do not know.
I am wondering if it would hurt to just leave them a day or two or three longer to MAKE sure?

I did not build my incubator. The nurture 360 incubator has an LED candling light built into it.

And I’m not too sure if it would hurt, which is why I asked. Can I? What good would it do for the first egg for example, that has no blood vessels attached to the sides anymore? The second one looks almost like it’s developing a blood ring. But like I said, I’m very new, so I ask a lot of questions.

Back
Top Bottom