Are these Hens?

I have studied the pictures of your 2 R. I. Reds. You say they were 'rescued' about 3 weeks ago. Where they were 'rescued from? In looking at the beaks, they have been cut - it is possible they were production egg farm layers. Young birds of this breed (sex-links) have bright yellow legs. Your hens have almost white legs. This makes me think they were layer for a long period. The yellow pigments have faded (gone to yolks). I would think your hens are 1 year and a bit more. Also, if the combs are getting redder, it is possible they are getting to start laying again.

I agree, these are hens, are they ex-battery or did they come with their beaks, debeaked? Cause they look like it. They could just be playing because they never got to play out of the home they once had, if they are ex-battery birds.

They could be establishing pecking order. But be careful, the pooch might get out of hand and accidentally hurt them.

Just watch and see how many times they go at it and step in like a Roo would cause some hens fight like roosters.

Last edited:
They were rescued in the residential area in the city. I thought their beaks were broken, didn't think they were clipped. They only way about 2 lbs and are little compared to my others so I figured under 6 mo.

My border collie use to play with our rooster, so when they were fighting it was like old times for him. Playtime!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom