Are these keets pied?

ma2babygurl13

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Fairborn OH
Are pieds really that rare?

These are Royal Purples, but they don't look like the other RP keets I have had before are they pied?

purplekeet.jpg

These are brown keets, are they pied?
008.jpg

here are the "normal" brown keets I have:
005.jpg

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:
Pied aren't rare, they are just a cross between a color and white. The middle ones might be pied - they seem to have more white than they should. The RP also seem to have more white with their whole wing white. Some of the ones on the bottom look like pearl keets.

I didn't think they were rare, but read another post where it said they were
smile.png
just trying to make sure!

I know the ones I think are brown are not pearl..I had a bunch of pearl keets

here is a pic of them:

004.jpg

and here is 2 of the pearl and 2 of the brown ones.

003.jpg

see how much lighter they are? and now that their wing feathers are coming in they are a light brown color...I will try to get pics of them now that they are starting to feather.

ETA: There were definitely 2 different shades of the brown ones, but all were lighter than the pearls. At first I thought Buff or Dunsince they are "sex linked" females being darker than males, but other posters disagreed and said they didn't look like buffs or duns to them, I guess I will find out as I am definitely keeping 6 of these ones. I might end up keeping more if they don't sell fast enough, and I have them long enough to go outside!

Last edited:
Pied genes actually take over until you get white birds. Your whole flock will turn pied and then white eventually if you keep hatching each generation. So it's not rare at all. It is argued that there are 2 genes involved in white guinea fowl with only one of them being pied because in some countries supposedly there are white birds without pied birds. In most animals when you are dealing with pied you aren't dealing with 1 gene which is why it's not a simple there or not there thing. It has a really broad range. You can have a minimally spotted animal or a nearly white animal and often from very related breedings. The more you cross pied animals the more you concentrate the genes so the more pied you get.

Some keets can have white markings on their belly and sides without being pied. There are also various shades of the colors. Try comparing them to the pics here http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/colorchart/

Well If I keep them through the winter, I'll have some for sale in the spring
smile.png
If not I will hopefully have some eggs next year and more keets! We are done hatching for the year... I can't have birds in my kitchen for the WHOLE winter
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom