Are these lavender mottled ameraucanas/OE?

ComediHen

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2023
Hi all, recently a farm near me has offered what they call mottled lavender olive eggers stating it's a first gen cross of ameraucanas and lavender or lav split marans. I just was curious if they look to be legit as I know Splash/Blue can be easily mistaken for Lavender and vice versa. TIA!

K59mbRl.jpeg
9kIZs03.jpeg
gqUd9Yj.jpeg
FxPpvuv.jpeg
YYtle7q.jpeg

Unfortunately, I am not very good at distinguishing lavender from blue or splash, so I don't think I can help here.
I'm leaning towards them being lavender mainly because I see a lot of feather shredding, which doesn't really mean much, but it's a lot more common in lavender than BBS.

They are lavender, but I have my doubts as to whether or not they are first Gen crosses. As far as I was aware, the mottling genec is not in Marans, so the offspring wouldn't be mottled. Since they also state they are using split lavender Marans, not all the chicks would be lavender either. Are the adult photos you have up there of the parents?

If they are the parents, from what I can determine you wouldn't be getting mottled lavender olive eggers, but a mix of lavender and split lavender olive eggers, probably with some leakage in the hackles. All of them would be split for mottling as well.

Back
Top Bottom