Are these leg mites? (Slightly graphic pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by oliviad51, Jan 9, 2012.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    It looks like she has had these for a while but I just now noticed them. Do you all think these are leg mites?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scales on her legs are about completely off and one of her feet are starting to bleed. When she walks, she flaps her wings like it hurts her. For the past couple days, I have been soaking her foot in flea shampoo and coating them in campho phenique. I got this method from a search I did on here but I didn't know if there was a way more effective other than the vaccination. Thanks in advance for any help:)

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

OUCH! do a search on here. Put in treat scaley leg mites and a bunch of info will come up for you to read through.
    i read Ivermectin in the water works wonders , but do a search for yourself.
    Best of luck getting it cleared up!

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    that looks like a bad case of leg mites [​IMG] Ivermec sould be effective

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Oh lord yes! I treated some hens that were even worse than these. All you have to do is dip their legs in any kind of oil. Doesn't matter what kind. It smothers the mites. I would dip them every two or three days for a couple weeks or so. The oil will smother the mites and also will help the crusty stuff (the mites secrete that) off their legs. Don't pull it off. It will pull and bleed. If you have some you can also put pour on ivomec on them but you don't have to. I would dust the nest/coop areas with seven as well.
    sharon

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
  6. Good lord!! (sorry, worst case ive seen so far)

Go to my BYC page and scroll down to permethrin and read about total control. You need to get the coop, new bedding, and birds. You'll use ivermectin pour on for the birds, and 10% Permethrin for the coop and the birds feet. So you need the dosage for ivermec, permethrin bird spray and permethrin premise spray. All on my page...do it all the same day. Repeat bird treatment in ten days

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  7. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the quick replies! Should I get Ivomec or Ivermectin? I can go to Tractor Supply tomorrow but I'm not sure which one will work best.

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    its the same thing [​IMG]

9. Quote:Be certain you get the "pour on" type. The smallest bottle they have will be enough.

10. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Oh! Don't I feel stupid [​IMG] Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by