Mites in winter?

0livia Face

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2023
Been in the low 30's for weeks where we live in PA. While cutting nails, I noticed some of the girl's scales lifting. From what I've read, scaly leg mites aren't usually active in freezing temps. Is this not true? Could there be another reason why their scales may be lifting? The girl in the pics is Vivie, a 1 yr old sapphire gem. Her left ankle looks a little swollen to me too with one big scale that's loose on that ankle. She's had issues in the past with gout affecting her legs. Whatever it is, she's the worse off out of all them for right now, but at least one other has slightly lifted scales just not as bad as hers. Don't want to jump the gun and treat with permethrin before we're sure because of insecticide resistance. So for now, I went through on all of them and gently brushed with a soft toothbrush but didn't see any mites or gunk built up. For the time being, treated with coconut oil and VetRx. (We don't feel comfortable with gasoline or kerosene methods) Any ideas on if it is actually scaly leg mites? Anyone else have to treat them in freezing temps? If so, what was your approach? Any personal experience tips are appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230123_170850.jpg
    20230123_170850.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230123_170840.jpg
    20230123_170840.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230123_170649.jpg
    20230123_170649.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230123_170644.jpg
    20230123_170644.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 5
Just that 1 spot looks funky. The rest of her legs don't look like she has an infestation. You mentioned possibly lifted scales on some of the other chicken's legs. Could you post a few pictures of their legs?

what does the underside of the foot look like?
coconut oil is what i use on the feet and combs. A natural antifungal and treats scaly mites. coconut oil is not cooking oil. it is a white paste.

Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil​

Just that 1 spot looks funky. The rest of her legs don't look like she has an infestation. You mentioned possibly lifted scales on some of the other chicken's legs. Could you post a few pictures of

what does the underside of the foot look like?
coconut oil is what i use on the feet and combs. A natural antifungal and treats scaly mites. coconut oil is not cooking oil. it is a white paste.

Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil​

I'll try to get a picture of the underside of their feet, it's a two person job with them lol. and yes, that is the type of coconut oiI used on them. 😊👍

Just that 1 spot looks funky. The rest of her legs don't look like she has an infestation. You mentioned possibly lifted scales on some of the other chicken's legs. Could you post a few pictures of their legs?
I'll try to get a picture, they're harder to see because they're silkies so they have fluffy feet, plus the coconut oil made them very dirty 😅

Back
Top Bottom