Are these little orphans Muscovy or Mallard? Thank you.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitkatbahr, Aug 9, 2010.

1. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Hi,

There was a lady that lives near here that saw a mama duck and one baby get hit by a car on Hwy A1A. She and her husband turned around and were able to catch the other five ducklings. She took a pic of them. One has died (she said it was weak and not eating, etc.). She still has four of them. This is a pic of them a few days ago when they rescued them. I told her I thought they were muscovy babies but wasn't sure and would ask all of you. Please let us know what they are. Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Looks like muscovy? But wait for someone else to chime in.

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Muscovy

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mallards or Rowen's not muscovey's

5. kitkatbahr

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Quote:The Rouen duckling pics I found on google had two eye stripes and the mallards had a very long one in front of and behind the eye from the beak to the back of head. That is why I thought muscovy.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:The Rouen duckling pics I found on google had two eye stripes and the mallards had a very long one in front of and behind the eye from the beak to the back of head. That is why I thought muscovy.

When ever i have a hatch of muscovey ducklings they will be the same colors but the patterns will vary.

Mallards and rouens have the same kind of pattern threw the entire hatch.

I have some 2 week olds outside of both breeds i will get some photos of them for you if you would like.

7. kitkatbahr

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL

When ever i have a hatch of muscovey ducklings they will be the same colors but the patterns will vary.

Mallards and rouens have the same kind of pattern threw the entire hatch.

I have some 2 week olds outside of both breeds i will get some photos of them for you if you would like.

Hi,
    I would love to see pics of both rouen and mallard babies. That would be cool. Thanks.

Kathy

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  8. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    This picture has two Muskovies (on the right) and two mallards (on the left) - hope this helps!

[​IMG]

9. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Mallards.

10. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

i am not sure, but they sure are CUTE! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by