Thoughts on adding a new Muscovy

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
After sadly losing my sweet pied Muscovy last month due to EYP, I’m back down to a flock of 3, 2 Rouens (4 and 5 years old), and one Muscovy (5 years old). Usually, my rule is that a bad day for one animal should be a good day for another, and I add a new family member as soon as I’m comfortable. I didn’t immediately add a new duck as my remaining Muscovy, the sister of the bird who passed, was stuck in a psychotically broody phase, sitting on an empty nest, attacking any living being who so much as breathed nearby.

I finally had the time to break her out of it, and she’s regained her sanity. However, she’s always been a difficult girl. Her sister was the good natured one, getting along well with the Rouens, and tolerating her sister’s worst moods. She would also block her sister when she became aggressive with the Rouens.

My remaining Muscovy is capable of being good, but when she’s bad, she’s bad. So, adding a new Muscovy requires some thought.

I’m in no rush. I think it’s doing her some good to be the ”odd bird out” with her 2 Rouen sisters as she either has to behave, or not be a part of the flock. I’m a little worried about going into the winter with such a small flock, but is 3 so much more different than 4?

One thought I’ve had is to wait until spring, find some fertile ‘Scovy eggs, and let her raise her own family as she’s always wanted to do. Any drakes would have to go, so I don’t know how many eggs I would get.

I could also find another adult, one who is the same age, but I don’t know how that would go. I don’t want to get too many Muscovies, as I don’t want to overwhelm the sweet and harmless Rouens.

I could get another Rouen, but my ‘Scovy would still not have anyone who speaks her language.

I could leave things as they are.

If it was up to my husband, we would add lots of birds. However, as the one who does the majority of the caretaking, I’d rather not.

Anyways, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance!

I would like to add that getting rid of remaining Muscovy is not an option. As challenging as she can be, I love her and I do not think it’s right to make her someone else’s problem. Also, as often as I’ve threatened her, I refuse to put her in a stewpot!

What a difficult dillema you face.. I can't advice you but wish you all the wisdom to make the right decision... Do you have french or English Rouens?
Thank you for your kind reply! My Rouens are “production” Rouens, which are much smaller than French Rouens. They are regular old hatchery quality birds.
49BA870E-B35E-4273-B8CF-83B5A93FB368.jpeg
8601F852-550C-4FF1-B988-54043C2CC8E4.jpeg

Personally, I think I would go with buying another adult Muscovy, or maybe two. If it's just one then the chance of them making friends with each other without much scuffling is high. I don't know your ducky but that's how it usually goes. If it's two, then the new ones will stick together and your Muscovy may have a harder time integrating herself into their group, but maybe she'll be more "behaved" about it.

I like the idea of letting her hatch eggs next year too, but only if you have an idea how you'll deal with the drakes.

Leaving things as they are is an option, but I personally think it would be best for her to have another of her species.

Thank you for sharing the picture! Very sweet!
Probably more the french Rouen kind than... Here's an article (In Dutch). First duck (page 2) and drake (page 3) are french (the skinny ones) others are English...

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/07n01a07.pdf

I can translate the part about the french one if you like ☺️
What kind of duck is the black/white one?
The French Rouens are really quite amazing! I would imagine that they are bred primarily for meat?

The black and white duck was the Muscovy hen who
8419DDFB-4903-4864-B39C-121B07152876.jpeg
1F00D87A-DAB0-43D8-AE17-D70EC8BEE4D8.jpeg
passed away.

Personally, I think I would go with buying another adult Muscovy, or maybe two. If it's just one then the chance of them making friends with each other without much scuffling is high. I don't know your ducky but that's how it usually goes. If it's two, then the new ones will stick together and your Muscovy may have a harder time integrating herself into their group, but maybe she'll be more "behaved" about it.

I like the idea of letting her hatch eggs next year too, but only if you have an idea how you'll deal with the drakes.

Leaving things as they are is an option, but I personally think it would be best for her to have another of her species.
Thank you for your reply! I definitely want her to have a sister. I just want to make sure I choose the right girl for her, whether it is an older girl that someone else is ready to retire or her “own” duckling daughter/sister. I would like to think that she would be welcoming, but she has only ever been with one other Muscovy, her sister, for 5 and 1/2 years. Are they as welcoming as mallard-derived ducks? Any time I’ve added a new Rouen, the resident Rouens have, after a short period of uncertainty, welcomed the newcomer with great enthusiasm as though they were long lost family. My white Muscovy has always enjoyed picking on the newcomer a bit, nothing dangerous (if not broody), but she does enjoy teasing them.

One reason I wanted her to raise her own family was that she would have to love them, right? I would just have to commit to not growing attached to the ducklings as any excess drakes would have to go. I’d find that very difficult.

Anyways, maybe I am just delaying. It’s been a rough year, losing both Daphne and my pied Muscovy + dealing with illness with my cats. I’m a little hesitant to open my heart up again to a new bird just yet.

For now, my Rouens are being very good flockmates. They’ve never held grudges, despite my Muscovy’s sporadic hateful behavior!

Back
Top Bottom