Are these Mites/Louse or what? How to treat naturally and effective? Please help!!!

whitewood

Chirping
May 14, 2020
SF Bay Area
Hi All,
We just found these terrible moving bugs on our chickens. We are first-time chicken owners and really need advice and help to treat our chickens as naturally as possible.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_6241.jpg
    IMG_6241.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6242.jpg
    IMG_6242.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 22
Its time for a Permethrin treatment.
You can Purchase at Tractor Supply.
Directions are on the back of the bottle.
Its safe to use.
Spray every knook and cranie and allow to dry. Then spray your chickens at roosting time. Spray them everywhere.
Clean out the coop, including the roosting bars and nesting boxes.
As clean as you can make it.
Do the same with your run.
Good luck.
Repeat in about a week to kill everything for sure.

Attachments

• 20201023_164830.jpg
    20201023_164830.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 19
Hi All,
We just found these terrible moving bugs on our chickens. We are first-time chicken owners and really need advice and help to treat our chickens as naturally as possible.
Thanks so much!
They are lice! No need to repeat what good advice that @Vickischics , has already given to you! Good Luck in eradicating them from your birds and coop.

They are lice! No need to repeat what good advice that @Vickischics , has already given to you! Good Luck in eradicating them from your birds and coop.
Thank you@007Sean.
Yup, they are nasty and Will make the chickens sick very quickly.
I appreciate they requested a natural remedy but in my opinion, they really don't have time to be messing around with lice before their chickens get really sick.
Me, I would want them DEAD! Yesterday! Yuck!

Thank you @Vickischics and @007Sean
Can I do it now (afternoon 2pm) or should I wait till roosting time as suggested?
Also, my husband says he has the Permethrin (see attached picture). Can I use that or should I get it from the store? Closest Tractor Supply to me is about 30 miles away.

We have hemp in the hen house, so I suppose, we should clear them out. What do we do with the hemp? Do we have to burn them but we are in CA, with wildfire, may not be able to burn. Can we still keep the hemp for compost or better not?

Thanks again!

Thank you @Vickischics and @007Sean
Can I do it now (afternoon 2pm) or should I wait till roosting time as suggested?
Also, my husband says he has the Permethrin (see attached picture). Can I use that or should I get it from the store? Closest Tractor Supply to me is about 30 miles away.

We have hemp in the hen house, so I suppose, we should clear them out. What do we do with the hemp? Do we have to burn them but we are in CA, with wildfire, may not be able to burn. Can we still keep the hemp for compost or better not?

Thanks again!
Get rid of the hemp...if you can't burn it, soak it in the Permethrin and don't reuse it...bag it and throw it in the garbage, if possible?

Get rid of the hemp...if you can't burn it, soak it in the Permethrin and don't reuse it...bag it and throw it in the garbage, if possible?
Thanks @007Sean
How about the chicken run? Do I also spay Permethrin on the dirt on the chicken run floor? Our run is just the original dirt ground in our yard with additional dried leaves/plants. Or will Diatomaceous Earth work?

Thanks!

Its time for a Permethrin treatment.
You can Purchase at Tractor Supply.
Directions are on the back of the bottle.
Its safe to use.
Spray every knook and cranie and allow to dry. Then spray your chickens at roosting time. Spray them everywhere.
Clean out the coop, including the roosting bars and nesting boxes.
As clean as you can make it.
Do the same with your run.
Good luck.
Repeat in about a week to kill everything for sure.

@Vickischics, you mentioned repeating the cleaning process in about a week. So, in the meantime, should our henhouse not have any beddings? Or just replace some new hemp now and then one week later replace again?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom