Are these peck marks?

That is dry fowl pox. Normally they don't develop into anything serious, and once they've run their course, the chicken is immune for life. Leave them alone, let them dry up, and go away. The only time you would put a little bit of triple antibiotic ointment on a pox, is if one appeared to be infected.
This is more inline with the advice I received and it turned out as recommended.

No neosporin. Just let what you already put on, wear off. Only if one looks infected, should you put a bit of neosporin on it. They dry up, and go away much faster if left dry. In about 7 - 10 days, they should have run their course, for the most part.

Okay, thanks! That's good to hear. I think another hen is developing the same symptoms, on a lesser degree but I'll still keep an eye on both of them. At least they'll never get it again, once they're immune. Will the whole flock be immune even if they don't develop bumps? With this particular hen, egg production also seemed to be down (she hadn't laid an egg for about 5 days when normally she lays one almost every day). I'm so glad it doesn't appear to be fatal.

Alright, the other hen appears to be much weaker. Here are pics of her head to confirm if she has fowl pox also (pictures are of both sides of her head):
IMG_3079.JPG
IMG_3077.JPG

Those bumps near her eyes, are those it? Also, she is not foraging with the flock and when I pick her up and set her down again she just sits there, like this:
IMG_3080.JPG

Her breathing also appears to be more rapid than the others. Today is the first time I've seen her do this. The first hen, while the bumps are bigger still forages with the flock and does not behave as weak as this one.

Alright, the other hen appears to be much weaker. Here are pics of her head to confirm if she has fowl pox also (pictures are of both sides of her head):View attachment 1887001 View attachment 1887003
Those bumps near her eyes, are those it? Also, she is not foraging with the flock and when I pick her up and set her down again she just sits there, like this:View attachment 1887009
Her breathing also appears to be more rapid than the others. Today is the first time I've seen her do this. The first hen, while the bumps are bigger still forages with the flock and does not behave as weak as this one.
I don't have any experience with the internal fowl pox, but that sounds like a possibility. Did you look in her mouth?

Alright, the other hen appears to be much weaker.
There is something else going on.
Dry pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes,
and just like a mosquito bite leave it be and it will go away,
it doesn't cause weakness.
Her breathing also appears to be more rapid than the others. Today is the first time I've seen her do this.
Is it hot where you live?
Is she eating and drinking and pooping OK?
Just how does she appear 'weak'?

The one hen could have something else going on too. You mentioned a reduction in eggs. I'd be checking to see if she's egg bound. While you're at it, listen to see if there is any rattle, or wheezing when she breathes. Check her pooh, and make sure you don't see worm activity. (Yes, I know you don't always see worms). IF she's not egg bound, and everything seems pretty normal, she's just off, it can be that she's just more stressed with the pox than the others. Keep her cool, and comfortable.

When mine have gone through the pox, I've offered a bit of canned cat food, scrambled egg with, or without the shells crushed in it (no oil used) or put a little Nutri Drench in their waterers. Don't overdo it. Their feed should be supplying the bulk of their nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom