Are these peck marks?

She is worse again. The bumps have gotten bigger and blacker (with more blood on them) and her eyelids appear swollen? She did not jump off the roost this morning. The panting and fast breathing has gone away, but the complete lack of interest in food and any sorts of activity is back. The one egg she did lay (5 or so days ago) had blood in it and was very light in color. The RIR though seems to have completely recovered, no bumps on her face at all. Unfortunately now my cockerel has it, and another hen appears to be developing this swollen eyelid thing too. Is the swelling eyelid part of the fowl pox and will my whole flock get it? One other question: I have a broody hen on day 5 with eggs, will the chicks be in danger? Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it and @aart I gave sav-a-chick again yesterday. They have fresh water and feed 24/7.
Thanks again.

No abnormalities in her mouth. Have yet to look in other chickens. Sorry, here are new pics:
IMG_3092.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG

Boy, it's hard to know if it's the fowl pox or something else going on making her lethargic. The eyelid swelling could be from an insect bite.

When I have a bird that's acting off....
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Also......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-4_18-14-29.png

Southern California. It's hot here but I've never had any chickens (this one include last summer) experience such lethargy from heat. Plus, it's not even that bad of a year. Will isolating her help since the rest of the flock has already been exposed? I seem to be seeing this eyelid swelling on another hen also, but maybe just my imagination. Also, what about the coming chicks question? Will they be in great danger from this?

Southern California. It's hot here but I've never had any chickens (this one include last summer) experience such lethargy from heat. Plus, it's not even that bad of a year. Will isolating her help since the rest of the flock has already been exposed? I seem to be seeing this eyelid swelling on another hen also, but maybe just my imagination. Also, what about the coming chicks question? Will they be in great danger from this?
The isolation I suggested is just to check her over thoroughly for any other issues.
If she does have some disease all your birds have already been exposed and there's no way to know what it is without cultured swabs and blood tests or a necropsy.
Are you in the Newcastle area?
@casportpony can advise you on Cali labs for testing...
...and has far greater experience with disease than I.

The isolation I suggested is just to check her over thoroughly for any other issues.
If she does have some disease all your birds have already been exposed and there's no way to know what it is without cultured swabs and blood tests or a necropsy.
Are you in the Newcastle area?
@casportpony can advise you on Cali labs for testing...
...and has far greater experience with disease than I.
I see. No, I don't think so, I'm in San Diego county and there's been only 1 reported instance of it happening there.

Back
Top Bottom