Are these peck marks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LikeTurkeys, Aug 23, 2019.

1. LikeTurkeys

LikeTurkeys Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Southern California
    My 1 1/2 year old hen has developed bumps on her comb. They seem to be swollen, kind or raised. At first they started out white, but then they turned black (in the middle mostly). Are these peck marks or something else? She's the top hen, so I'd be surprised if anyone is bullying her.

Also, she was limping a few days back, seems okay now, don't know if it is related. I don't know if this is the right forum either, it's not exactly an emergency...
    Thanks! IMG_3074.JPG

Sequel and ValerieJ like this.
  2. Hobbits Mommie

Hobbits Mommie Songster

Sep 21, 2018
    Lakeland, FL
    Possibly fowl pox?

ValerieJ likes this.
  3. LikeTurkeys

LikeTurkeys Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Southern California
    Oh no! I hope not! None of the other chickens have this.

ValerieJ likes this.
  4. Hobbits Mommie

Hobbits Mommie Songster

Sep 21, 2018
    Lakeland, FL
    They can get fungus, but you said they started out light colored, which is more typical of pox.

ValerieJ likes this.
  5. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    That is fowl pox. I had a rooster with it once. I know it can spread to the other chickens, but once they are exposed it's too late to separate. At least that's what I was told. So your chicken's case doesn't look too bad. My rooster had about 5 or 6 spots, and although it looked bad for a few weeks, it went away on its own and the hens never caught it. Here is a helpful article about it:
    http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/how-to-easily-diagnose-and-treat-fowl-pox/

Edited to add: I did add electrolytes to his water, but that's really all I did.

Sequel and slordaz like this.
  6. Hobbits Mommie

Hobbits Mommie Songster

Sep 21, 2018
    Lakeland, FL
    There are 2 types of fowl pox. Internal, and external. The bird can have one, or in some cases both. There is no cure for either, but external pox can be treated with antibiotics added to the water to prevent secondary infections (which is what the biggest risk is). Internal Pox are lesions that form inside the mouth, airway, and lungs and is almost always fatal. It is recommended to separate the infected bird from the rest and not cross contaminate with bedding, waterer, food, etc. Even going so far as not wearing the same shoes from one pen to the other and disposing of the infected birds bedding, etc in plastic bags because the virus can last for weeks or months in the soil. The disease is usually spread via mosquitoes.

slordaz and ValerieJ like this.
  7. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Wow. I must have been really lucky. :eek:

slordaz likes this.
  8. LikeTurkeys

LikeTurkeys Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Southern California
    Okay, thank you. It looks like she has external pox. So, separate for a few weeks to prevent cross contamination? (or does it not matter because they've already been exposed?) I'm going to wipe some triple-antibiotic on the sores.

Hobbits Mommie and ValerieJ like this.
  9. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I didn't separate my rooster, who never stopped being active with my hens, and never had another hen with fowl pox. But, now after what Hobbits Mama said, I would probably do it differently and separate him. I think I was just lucky.

Hobbits Mommie and slordaz like this.
  10. getaclue

getaclue Enabler

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    That is dry fowl pox. Normally they don't develop into anything serious, and once they've run their course, the chicken is immune for life. Leave them alone, let them dry up, and go away. The only time you would put a little bit of triple antibiotic ointment on a pox, is if one appeared to be infected.

11. LikeTurkeys

LikeTurkeys Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Southern California
    Okay, just put neosporin (I think that's the same a triple antibiotic?) on the spots on her comb. I'll see what I can do about separating her...

Hobbits Mommie and ValerieJ like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: